The first thing on your mind is probably, what are the best boy dog names which you can use for your adorable new family member?
There are an estimated 900 million dogs in the world, and so half of that number is made up of male dogs!
We have every type of male dog name you could ever want for your boy puppy to suit any breed, size, or personality.
Before naming your dog, make sure you get to know him really well, so you can take inspiration from this brilliant list.
We have over three hundred ideas on this list, not enough for the 450 million boy dogs in the world, but we hope it gives you a head start…
Best Boy Dog Names
It is incredibly important that you give your dog a fantastic title.
The best boy dog names are monikers that suit your individual pet, whether it be a reflection of their breed, size, or personality!
Dogs are also known for being kind, generous, and unselfish, this is just one of the many reasons why we love them so much!
If your puppy is loud and feisty, a strong-sounding name with a fiery meaning, like ‘Rex’, or ‘Loki’ would suit them.
However, if they are a calmer and more chilled pooch, a name like ‘Jax’ or ‘Tommy’ would be better.
the perfect idea for a boy dog that loves to be out in the wilderness. Hunter would be a great choice for any breeds that were once used as hunting dogs
Check out some more adorable names below:
- Alfie – a cute version of ‘Alfred’
- Bear – if your cute pet resembles a little bear
- Benji – an adorable short form of ‘Benjamin’
- Blue – this color-name has become a popular choice
- Bruno – from the German word ‘Brun’, meaning ‘shield’
- Buddy – perfect for a boy dog who is your best friend!
- Buster – one of the most popular ideas
- Cedric – ‘Ceddy’ for short!
- Charlie – an adorable moniker
- Cody – an English word meaning ‘pillow’
- Dandy – a Greek boy’s name meaning ‘man, warrior’
- Finley – ‘Finn’ for short!
- Jasper – a Persian word meaning ‘treasurer’
- Leo – a Latin word meaning ‘lion’
- Maverick – does your dog have a strong, independent spirit?
- Max – meaning ‘the greatest’
- Milo – a Greek word meaning ‘destroyer’
- Oscar – an Irish word for ‘friend of the deer’
- Prince – a cute and regal title for a noble dog!
- Rocky – an adorable version of the word ‘Rock’
- Teddy – short for ‘Theodore’
Cute Boy Dog Names
There is no doubt, dogs are some of the world’s cutest animals, and no matter if you have the cutest male Pomeranian puppy or a gigantic Great Dane, he deserves an equally adorable boy dog name to match!
From Bears to Wolves, Ozzy Osbourne to Ringo Starr, you are bound to find the perfect choice for your boy on this list.
To make cute male dog names, we recommend choosing shortened versions of names, such as ‘Finn’ or ‘Ceddy’.
Names with adorable meanings, relating to nature or other animals, are also a great way to generate some uniqueness.
a word mostly associated with the frontman of the chipmunk trio from the movie franchise Alvin and the Chipmunks, perfect for a cute boy dog with bundles of energy and humor
Check out some more of the best boy dog names below:
- Apollo – after the Greek god of medicine, poetry and music
- Baxter – popular choice for boy dogs from the English word ‘baker’
- Beau – a French word meaning ‘handsome’
- Bo – meaning ‘precious’ in Chineset
- Brutus – after the Roman Statesman
- Chester – an English word meaning ‘one who lives at the camp of the soldiers’
- Duke – a great choice for the most noble of pets!
- Gus – short for ‘Augustus’
- Jax – ‘God has been gracious’
- Loki –this is perfect for a powerful pet!
- Oreo – this sweet snack makes a great moniker
- Rex – a Latin word meaning ‘king’
- Romeo – after Shakespeare’s love-sick protagonist
- Scout – American word meaning ‘to listen’
- Shadow – a great choice for a beautiful dog with dark fur
- Tank – perfect for a large and powerful pet!
- Theo – short for ‘Theodore’
- Tommy – a cute version of ‘Thomas’
- Winston – a very British name meaning ‘wine’s town’
- Zeus – after the Greek God of the sky and thunder
Unique Boy Dog Names
Like the human fingerprint, every dog’s nose has a unique print, making each and every one of these four-legged furballs a one-of-a-kind!
Because every dog is different, in their own way, a lot of owners want a unique dog name to be distinctive… something they have never heard of before.
We have a diverse array of names that originate from all corners of the world.
The best unique names are those that make people ask questions such as ‘where is that name from?!’, or ‘what does it mean?’.
A pet with any of these names will be very memorable, so keep reading…
a unique and cool name for the most intelligent dog around!
Explore some more of our favorite unique names below:
- Ajax – Greek meaning ‘Eagle’
- Aslan – a Turkish word for ‘lion’
- Bjorn – ‘bear’ in Swedish
- Carlisle – an English name meaning ‘from the walled city’
- Dion – a shortened version of ‘Dionysus’
- Edan – Celtic meaning ‘fire’
- Errol – a Latin word meaning ‘nobleman’
- Fonzell – a cool and unique abbreviation of ‘Alfonso’
- Garrick – ‘one who rules by the spear’
- Hans – a German word for ‘God has been gracious’
- Ignatius – a Latin choice meaning ‘fiery’
- Keanu – a Hawaiian word meaning ‘cool breeze over the mountains’
- Lamar – French for ‘of the sea’
- Malvin – Celtic meaning ‘leader’
- Odell – an English word which means ‘of the valley’
- Pirro – a Spanish name meaning ‘one with red hair’
- Sabra – Egyptian meaning ‘patient’
- Tate – meaning ‘cheerful’
Cool Boy Dog Names
If your boy dog is the coolest pet around, he should definitely have a cool moniker to flaunt his unique and quirky nature!
Take inspiration from historical figures from periods such as Roman times and Arthurian legends, as historical names often sound cool and have interesting meanings.
Any and every dog deserves a cool choice because they are incredibly skilled and talented; from Academy Awards to silver stars and purple hearts for their bravery during the war, we can count on dogs for anything…
a cool-sounding Hebrew title meaning ‘may God strengthen’.
Explore some more ideas for cool boy dog names below:
- Achilles – after the Greek warrior from the legend of the Trojan
- Atlas – Greek meaning ‘carried’
- Helios – Greek for ‘sun’
- Jupiter – after the supreme Roman God
- Neptune – the mythological God of water
- Orion – after the Greek son of fire
- Pax – a Latin word meaning ‘peace’
- Phoenix – a cool and unique title
- Remus – Latin meaning ‘quick’
- Kalani – Hawaiian for ‘the sky’
- Taurus – meaning ‘bull’ in Latin
- Blaise – after a cleric from Arthurian legend
- Lancelot – one of King Arthur’s ‘Knights of the Round Table’
- Lucan – an Italian word for ‘light’
- Merlin – after the legendary sorcerer
- Tor – an English word meaning ‘highly praiseworthy’
- Nila – a Hindi word for ‘blue’
- Cruz – a Portuguese moniker meaning ‘cross’
- Rebel – a great name for any pet who lives by his own rules!
Funny Boy Dog Names
If your dog has a crazy and whacky personality, and a traditional name just won’t suit them. Consider giving them a funny dog name.
Making a pun on any name is simple, you just have to make a list of words and sounds associated with dogs (e.g. ‘paws’, ‘chew’ and ‘woof’), and find names of famous people that rhyme and sound like these words.
So you could name an incredibly hairy dog ‘Hagrid’, or a very wise and small dog ‘Yoda’!
From chasing their own tails to snoring very loud and the funny noises they make while they are dreaming, dogs are not just there to keep us company, but to also make us laugh too!
Here is a list of the funniest, wackiest and weirdest names you could give to your pet dog…
a great choice for an oversized pooch! Meatball would be an especially great title for a dog breed that happens to also have the physically appearance of a meatball
- King Kong
Check out some more funny dog names below:
- Dave – this human title would be hilarious if given to a cute puppy!
- Droolius Caesar – a funny pun on Roman leader ‘Julius Caesar’!
- Dumbledog – a doggie pun on the Harry Potter character ‘Dumbledore’
- Franz Fur-dinand – after the ‘Archduke Franz Ferdinand’
- Hairy Paw-ter – a hilarious doggy-twist on the famous ‘Harry Potter’
- Hercules – give this word to a tiny adorable dog
- Hobbit – great if you have got a giant dog
- Jimmy Chew – a pun on fashion designer ‘Jimmy Choo’
- Matt Paw-son – a pun on retired English rugby player ‘Matt Dawson’
- Mister Fluffy – perfect if your dog is a ball of fluff!
- Pawtrick – after English actor ‘Patrick Stewart’
- Pumba – this comedic character from Disney’s ‘The Lion King’
- Pup Tart – a cute and funny pun on the delicious treat ‘Pop Tarts’!
- Sir Licks-a-lot – perfect for a dog who loves to lick everyone!
- Twinkle – a funny name if given to a large and strong dog!
- Woofgang Mozart – a pun on famous composer ‘Wolfgang Mozart’
We hope our list of boy dog names has helped you in your quest for finding the perfect choice for your male dog!
From Greek mythology to the most popular dog names in America, we have something for every dog out there… whether it was a cute, quirky, or funny name that caught your eye, we hope it suits your dog in every way, and that you and your dog love it.
If you had a favorite name from this list then be sure to let us know, just leave us a comment below.
Also, If you have any more suggestions for boy dog names, please leave them in the comments below!
I love your lists of names, you give us so many to choose from. But I would like to add Maverick & Dandy. I had a Jack Russell Terrier named Maverick, which was very fitting for him.
I love your website!