If a beautiful male dog has become the latest member of your family, and you are looking for the perfect name to highlight his amazing qualities, look no further than our vast list of over 300 male dog names!
We have got loads of unique and adorable monikers to suit all sizes and colors of dogs.
Whether your male dog has a strong, fierce temperament, or a calm, chilled-out one, we have a broad range of names to suit every kind.
Enjoy exploring all of our names below:
Best Male Dog Names
Some of the best dog names can be found in your favorite films and books; especially those about the lives of pets!
Think of your favorite animal movies, and they are likely to contain some great ideas for names, such as ‘Marley and Me’, and ‘The Secret Life of Pets.’
If they are good enough for the big screen, then they are good enough for your pet dog!
The best male names show off your individual pooch’s specific qualities – a name like ‘Einstein’ could suit an intelligent dog, whilst a title like ‘Toto’ could suit a tiny, adorable dog.
Our favorite is ‘Yoyo’ (after the simple game on a string) this title would suit an adorable, fun-loving canine who loves to play games.
Check out some more brilliant choices below:
- Astro – the beloved dog of ‘The Jetson Family’
- Baxter – from the movie ‘Anchorman’
- Brian – from ‘Family Guy’
- Bruiser – Elle Woods’ dog in ‘Legally Blonde’
- Buddy – Bill Clinton’s Labrador Retriever
- Caesar – King Edward VII’s Fox Terrier
- Chips – the war dog who helped capture 10 enemy soldiers during WWII
- Einstein – from ‘Back To The Future’
- Jock – from Disney’s ‘Lady and the Tramp’
- Jofi – the pet of Sigmund Freud
- Koni – Vladimir Putin’s Labrador Retriever
- Marley – from the heart-wrenching film ‘Marley and Me’
- Marlowe – Stephen King’s Pembroke Welsh Corgi
- Max – David Bowie’s dog
- Meatball – Adam Sandler’s English Bulldog
- Otis – from ‘The Adventures of Milo and Otis’
- Padfoot – the nickname of Sirius Black in ‘Harry Potter’
- Seamus – Steve Marriot’s dog
- Slink – from Pixar’s ‘Toy Story’
- Toto – from ‘The Wizard of Oz’
- Trakr – the brave dog who helped to find victims of the 9/11 attacks
Cute Male Dog Names
Some of the cutest male dog names can be found within the Latin and Hebrew languages.
These languages give words with adorable meanings to show off your dog’s brilliant qualities!
Shorter names with fewer syllables often make the cutest names, as do shortened versions of names, such as ‘Finn’, short for ‘Finley’, and ‘Teddy’, short for ‘Theodore’.
Most words have a meaning behind them, so make sure your perfect moniker has a perfectly adorable meaning behind it, too.
Our favorite cute male dog name is ‘Bo’, derived from the Old Norse nickname ‘Bua’, meaning ‘to live’.
Explore more cute ideas below:
- Angel – ‘messenger’
- Asher – a Hebrew word meaning ‘happy one’
- Austin – a Latin word meaning ‘majestic’
- Axel – ‘father of peace’
- Caleb – ‘faithful’
- Evan – a Welsh word meaning ‘God is gracious’
- Ezra – ‘help’
- Gabriel – ‘God is my strength’
- Hunter – ‘one who hunts’
- Isaac – ‘laughter’
- Jason – from Greek mythology, meaning ‘healer’
- Leo – meaning ‘lion’
- Levi – a biblical choice meaning ‘attached’
- Logan – ‘meadow’
- Lucas – ‘bringer of light’
- Noah – ‘peaceful’
- Nolan – ‘champion’
- Silas – ‘wood’ or ‘forest’
- Theodore – a Greek word meaning ‘gift of God’
- Wesley – ‘western meadow’
- William – ‘protector’
Unique Male Dog Names
When looking for a unique male dog name, it is important to find some that you have not heard of before.
If you haven’t heard a name before it means it is well and truly unique!
Translating your dog’s qualities, such as their strength, size, and colors, into another language can produce some really unique names.
Start with languages like Afrikaans and Gaelic as these are rarely used for male dog names, and therefore are more unique.
Look for a word that will make everyone you tell it to say ‘what does that mean?’
Our favorite is ‘Cacao’, the seeds from which cocoa and chocolate are made, therefore this is a unique name for a male dog with beautiful dark fur.
Check out some more unique names below:
- Aapo – a Finnish word meaning ‘breath’
- Aatto – meaning ‘noble wolf’
- Abasi – an Egyptian word meaning ‘stern’
- Ekon – ‘strong’
- Hagan – ‘strong defence’
- Helmut – a German word meaning ‘brave’
- Hieronymus – a sacred Latin name
- Horatio – from Latin meaning ‘keeper of the hours’
- Horus – an Egyptian God of the sky
- Jedrek – ‘strong’ and ‘manly’
- Jerry – ‘brave spearman’
- Kali – a Hindi name meaning ‘black’
- Kalmin – ‘manly’ and ‘strong’
- Kenner – a Gaelic word meaning ‘brave chieftain’
- Khalil – an Arabic word meaning ‘companion’
- Knox – ‘from the hills’
- Kofi – an African word meaning ‘born on Friday’
- Kwan – ‘strong’
- Magnar – ‘strong warrior’
- Tate – ‘cheerful’
- Travon – ‘God’s truth’
Cool Male Dog Names
The coolest male dog names are monikers that have cool meanings behind them!
If your pooch is always chilled out, then a cool name is the right kind of title for him.
There are many definitions of ‘cool’, so think about what it means to you, and then look for the perfect word to fit that definition.
Explore our ideas and find one that clicks with you – if it suits your dog then it is definitely a strong contender.
Our favorite moniker is ‘Dzuma’, meaning ‘King of God’ – a pretty cool and powerful choice for your amazing pet dog.
Explore some more of the coolest male dog names below:
- Carson – ‘son of the marsh-dweller’
- Chad – ‘warrior’
- Cole – ‘dark’
- Conner – ‘wolf lover’
- Fakhir – an Arabic word meaning ‘proud’
- Fallon – ‘in charge’
- Ferris – ‘rock’
- Floyd – a Celtic word meaning ‘gray’
- Ignacio – from the Latin word ‘Ignatius’
- Inigo – ‘fiery’
- Ira – ‘watchful’
- Irving – ‘handsome friend’
- Ivo – ‘yew wood’
- Pascal – meaning ‘one born at Passover or Easter’
- Pax – a Latin name meaning ‘peace’
- Pierce – meaning ‘rock’
- Tag – ‘handsome’
- Tahbert – ‘brilliant’
- Yacoub – a Greek word meaning ‘from the forest’
- Yura – ‘youthful’
- Zander – ‘intelligent’ and ‘compassionate’
Unusual Male Dog Names
Unusual names are perfect for a crazy unusual pet!
So, if your male dog is an unusual breed, has unusual patterns on his skin, or has a crazy temperament, then have a look through our suggestions of unusual dog names for boys.
We have compiled a long list of male dog names that most people probably have not heard of, making them extremely unusual and quirky, to suit all kinds of unique and special dogs.
Our favorite unusual choice is ‘Ingmar’, a composite of ‘Ing’, a Norse God, and ‘Mar’, meaning ‘famous’.
- Aditya – ‘the sun’
- Amir – an Arabic word meaning ‘prince’
- Archer – ‘bowman’
- Fabumi – ‘gift of God’
- Fadil – ‘virtuous’
- Faiion – an Irish dog name meaning ‘ruler’
- Faris – ‘knight’
- Fell – ‘from the rough hill’
- Finian – ‘handsome’
- Fiorello – ‘little flower’
- Ivo – ‘yew wood’
- Keanu – a Hawaiian name meaning ‘cool breeze over the mountains’
- Randall – ‘shield wolf’
- Reid – ‘redhead’
- Remus – ‘Remus Lupin, the werewolf professor from Harry Potter’
- Rey – meaning ‘regal’ and ‘kingly’
- Sergio – ‘attendant’
- Shea – ‘hawklike’ or ‘majestic’
- Shiloh – ‘the peaceful one’
- Skeet – ‘swift’
Strong Male Dog Names
Dogs are often renowned for their strength, and therefore deserve a fearless powerful name that suits them.
We have compiled a list of dog names that indicate the strength of male canines, taking inspiration from films, famous historical figures, and foreign languages.
If your pooch has proved his strength and fearlessness, he will definitely suit many of our suggestions below, so have a look and hopefully, the perfect title will stand out.
Our favorite choice is ‘Colonel’, a high-ranking army officer, which shows off your dog’s leadership and confidence!
- Achilles – the hero of the Trojan War
- Beast – there’s nothing stronger than a beast
- Bond – surname of fearless spy ‘James Bond’
- Captain – a powerful rank in the army
- Charlemagne – King of the Franks, Lombards and Emperor of the Romans
- Chopper – from the 1986 film ‘Stand by Me’
- Cronos – the leader of the first generation of Titans
- Dragon – a mythical creature known for its strength
- Fang – Hagrid’s dog from ‘Harry Potter’
- Forkbeard – the surname of the fierce Viking king ‘Sven Forkbeard’
- Hercules – the Roman hero and God
- Hulk – for a huge strong male dog
- Lionheart – nickname of the military leader and warrior King Richard I
- Ogre – for a huge mighty dog
- Rex – ‘king’ in Latin
- Scar – the fierce villain from Disney’s ‘The Lion King’
- Thanos – the fictional supervillain from the ‘Marvel Comics’
- The Rock
- Thor – a Marvel superhero
- Tyson – first name of professional boxer ‘Tyson Fury’
We hope you’ve enjoyed exploring our list of male dog names and hope you have found some brilliant ideas for your pet pooch.
Male dogs are amazing, special animals, and deserve brilliant monikers to showcase all the things you love about them.
Whether it was a cute name like ‘Bono’, or a strong name like ‘Magnus’ that caught your eye, we hope it struck you as the perfect choice for your new pet!
If you have any more suggestions for unique, adorable, and fearless male dogs, please leave them below.