Hola! So you have got a new puppy and it needs a cute name, how about one of our Spanish dog names?
Español is a romantic language that emerged from Castile, and is second only to Mandarin, with over 437 million people speaking Spanish.
Even the name of the Spaniel dog breed comes from Español and if you have a white dog, check out the names you could give to your ‘Perro Blanco’.
There are so many names to choose from, so we have put together a list with over 250 of our favorites!
Cool Spanish Dog Names
Sometimes dogs can get a bit excited, especially if they smell their favorite treat is on the way, that’s why we think Loco would be a great dog name, for a crazy pup that loves to run around and have fun at the park.
But, maybe, your dog is more relaxed, too cool for school even, here are some more cool names to choose from if you like Spanish words and culture.
A spicy sauce made with onions and tomatoes (and a South American dance too), the perfect pet name for a spicy little Chihuahua
- Cabezon – meaning big head, good for a giant dog then
- Domingo – Sunday in Spanish
- Franco – after James Franco – he is quite cool
- Nacho – they go well with salsa!
- Zorro – from the 1998 film The Mask of Zorro
Cute Spanish Dog Names
Did you know that Bonito means ‘Pretty’ in Spanish?
We also think it is one of the cutest names, you might even want to make that Boni for short.
Unlike English, Spanish uses different word endings for each gender, in this case, it’s a choice between Bonito (female) and Bonita for a male, but, you can choose whatever you prefer – just remember you might confuse any Spaniards living nearby!
A type of donut that is stick shaped, not circular, dipped in chocolate and cinnamon sugar, yum! Perfect for a cute dog
- Carmen – a famous Opera set in Seville, Spain
- Che – just like Che Guevara – the Cuban revolution leader
- Churro – a stick shaped donut
- Cruz – this is the name of David Beckham’s son
- Rio – Brazil’s second most populated city Rio de Janeiro
- Vivir – meaning life in Spanish for a cute and lively dog
Male Spanish Dog Names
Spanish is spoken all across the Earth, including Mexico where the food is some of the tastiest in South America.
Have you ever tried tacos? Little corn wraps with spicy fillings, which are now popular all around the world. Taco is our favorite Spanish dog name for a male dog!
Born in the 19th century, Pablo Picasso is the most famous Spanish painter of the 20th century with over 150 paintings
- Bruno – hopefully your pup isn’t catching any grenades for you
- Chan – a good male dog name, especially if you like Jackie Chan movies!
- Guillermo – Guillermo Del Toro is the Oscar winning Mexican film director
- Messi – star of Barcelona, Spain loves soccer and this Argentine wizard
Female Spanish Dog Names
Is your dog female, with a stunningly soft coat and gleaming green eyes, majestically built and gentle natured, you might even say, she’s beautiful?
Bella would be the perfect name for your beautiful dog. Bella means beautiful in Spanish and it’s pronounced ‘Bey-a’, which would sound just as lovely when you call her back to put on the lead.
There are loads of great female Spanish dog names, here are a few:
Meaning soul in Spanish, perfect if you think your dog is your soul mate like a Golden Retriever
- Chiqita – meaning small, great if you have a little female Chihuahua
- Limon – meaning Lemon in Spanish, good if your dog is fair haired
- Rojo – this means red in Spanish, good if your dog is fiery!
- Sevilla – one of the biggest cities in Spain is Seville
Spanish Dog Names and Meanings
So many to choose from, but what do they all mean?
Well, some of the names here have meanings, like Don, that’s a respectable term to call a man in Spain, others are just part of Spanish words and sound cute or cool.
Some of these names are even taken from people that made them famous, like Picasso.
If you like the sound of a name, it will take on a whole new meaning once you name your dog, so don’t be afraid to go for something fun.
We don’t recommend sitting on your dog, but this word means chair in Spanish
- Dias – this means day in Spanish, Buenos Dias!
- Gato – that’s a cat name, maybe not the best name!
- Lago – this word means lake, great if your dog is a swimmer
- Lobo – Wolf in Spanish, now that’s a cool name for a Malamute
- Mano – hand in Spanish
- Sombrero – you guessed it, it means hat in Spanish
White Spanish Dog Names
We might have got you hungry earlier, talking about Tacos, but something was missing.
Maybe it was the Sal (that’s salt in Spanish), which might also be the perfect name if you have a white dog.
There’s plenty more, so continue reading if you have a Perro Blanco (i.e. White Dog).
- Cortado – a very popular drink in Spain
- Crema – great for your pooch if its off white coloured
- Frigo – means ice box, but sounds like a good name for a Husky
- Luz – this means light
- Sal – that’s salt
Facts About Spain and Spanish Names
If all of our Spanish names have left you wanting to learn more about Spain, then you’re in luck Amigo!
1. The Spanish Football team is one the most successful sides in history…
winning Euro 2008, the 2010 World Cup, and Euro 2012, dominating the opposition with their ‘Tiki Taka’ style, maybe those would be good names if you own a pair of puppies from the same litter.
2. Spain was once ruled under Islam
Between 711-1492, there was at least some part of Spain ruled under Islam, meaning Spain owes much of its current culture to the Arabic way of life, this can be seen at the famous Alhambra Palace in Granada.
3. Over 400 million people speak Spanish…
and this number is growing, it is the native language of Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Chile, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Paraguay, Panama, Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Cuba, Peru, Uruguay, Puerto Rico and Venezuela.
4. Spain produces the most olive oil in the world…
and it also consumes the most, that’s ahead of both Italy and Greece. Production is highest in the Andalucia region where 75% of its total output is made. Olivo could be a cute name if you like olive oil.
So you have learned about Spanish culture, its food, and some of the history, you might even have recognized a few Spanish celebs along the way.
All dogs need a fun name, you’re probably going to be using it a lot, especially if you’re a new pet owner.
Why not choose a Spanish name? It rolls off the tongue and they are pretty cool too; Nacho and Salsa are a good combo for a pair of dogs.
There are hundreds of Spanish Dog names to choose from, some cool, some cute, for boys and girls, next time you have to name a pet dog have a look at our list and you might find the perfect match.
Why not leave us a comment, what was your favorite? Adios for now!