The Latin motto for Pugs is ‘multum in parvo’, which means ‘a lot in a little’ – these animals are lively, charismatic, and energetic in a small package!
If you have one of these dogs, you are most certainly looking for names that emphasize a large attitude and plenty of energy; just like your Pug.
However, some can also be calming and laid-back pets, Buddhist monks used to keep them as pets in Tibetan monasteries!
Whichever type of Pug you get, we’ve got a name for them!
So, get as snug as a pug, and settle down for this list of the best 250 Pug names.
Cute Pug Names
A Pug cannot not be cute…. look at their big eyes, squashed noses, and wrinkled faces, and then try telling us these creatures are not cute!
So, they deserve a name that’s as cute as they are.
Their name should make you aww and ahh every time you hear it!
Even though they are an ancient breed and are believed to have originated in China around 400 BCE, they have always been cute!
Our Favorite Name
pugs have a very squished, button-like nose because they are brachycephalic, meaning that their head is wide but short, and results in a squished nose!
- Bart – a character from the Simpsons
- Sprinkles – sweet like a cupcake!
- Boo – for a scary dog!
- Buddy – because your dog is your best buddy!
- Guinness – just don’t let your pup try any of this drink!
- Rascal – for a cheeky doggie!
- Gus – for a Pug who might be on the chunky side!
- Luna – a character in Harry Potter
- Jester – for a silly pup!
- Ziggy – if you’re a big fan of David Bowie
- Barnie – this name isn’t just reserved for a purple dinosaur!
- Figaro – a name from the Queen song Bohemian Rhapsody
- Windsor – a royal name for a royal pup!
- Lady – another posh name
- Bubbles – hopefully your pooch will like this name more than bubble baths!
- Lilo – a main character from Lilo and Stitch
- Cleo – name your Pug after famous Egyptian royalty
- Mopsy – for a scruffy pup!
Good Pug Names
Pugs are incredibly intelligent and loyal dogs.
Apparently, when William I was leading the Dutch revolution against Spain, an assassin snuck into his camp… Luckily, William’s loyal pup, Pompey the Pug saw this intruder and barked.
This woke William and alerted him to the assassin!
If they aren’t the most loyal creatures on the planet then we don’t know what are.
Our Favorite Name
a social media star living in Tennessee and is the most followed Pug on the internet!
- Lolly – for a dog that’s carefree!
- Maximus – for a Pug that could be a Roman Emperor!
- Belle – from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
- Rocky – for a dog that’s a fighter!
- Jazz – for a pooch that loves music
- Teddy – for the cutest pup around!
- Gino – a pup who loves Italy!
- Snowball – perfect for a dog in the winter!
- Champ – every Pug is a champion!
- Dottie – a pup that’s a little bit crazy!
- Dozer – perfect if your dog sleeps all day long!
- Pearl – because your puppy is a gem!
- Leo – named after the star sign, the actor or the famous painter?!
- Pixie – give your dog a magical name like Pixie!
- Elton – this Pug’s favorite song is ‘Candle in the Wind’
Funny Pug Names
Pugs were originally bred to be lapdogs, so they are the best companions and will want to always be around you.
The same can be said for humans too – who doesn’t want to be around dogs all the time?
One of many funny things about Pugs is that a group of them is called a grumble!
Perhaps this is because the wrinkles on their faces resemble a grumbly old man.
To celebrate their hilarious nature, why not give your Pug a funny name?
Our Favorite Name
pugs often snore because of their short, squished nose!
- Pugs Bunny – does anyone know if they also love carrots?!
- Squashy – like their small, button nose!
- Curly – a Pug’s tail usually has one or two curls!
- Biscuit – everyone’s favorite colorful biscuit – a pugty ring!
- Bug – why not give your dog a name they rhymes?
- Stumpy – maybe this relates to their short legs!
- Pugzilla – this name could be for a specifically grumpy dog
- Love Pug – for a pooch with the best romance!
- Snickers – perfect for a dog that loves to laugh, or one with a coat the color of chocolate!
- Captain – this pup is the most fearsome creature on the seven seas!
- Wrinkles – to match their cute wrinkly face!
- Happy – for a doggie that’s always smiling!
- Gorilla – apparently they were named after ‘pug monkeys’ because they have similar faces!
- Cola – this is great for a Pug with a brown/black coat!
- Jelly – perfect for a pooch who might be more on the wobbly side
- Yoda – name your dog after this wise Star Wars character!
- Sir Pugs-a-Lot
- Spark Pug
Best Pug Names
Pugs are a very royal breed.
Chinese Emperors used to keep Pugs as pets, even Queen Victoria had her own!
Obviously, a royal pet deserves a royal name, so give them the best moniker possible.
The pattern of wrinkles on their head is said to resemble the Chinese character for ‘prince’ and so it is called a ‘prince mark’!
Marie Antoinette also owned one of these dogs whilst she lived in Austria, before becoming Queen of France, and she named him Mops… we think that’s an awesome Pug name!
Our Favorite Name
while pugs aren’t as fierce as bears, they are just as fluffy!
- Basco – The name of Queen Victoria’s dog!
- Bonnie – often meaning pretty and good-looking!
- Minnie – name your pup after this cute Disney character!
- Caramel – perfect for a sweet canine whose fur is the color of caramel!
- Bogart – if your Pug resembles a movie star then name them after Humphrey Bogart!
- Salty – if you take this dog to the beach then they’ll be a salty sea dog!
- Romeo – maybe your dog is one of Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers
- Dodo – let’s hope pooch don’t become extinct like this unfortunate bird!
- Bamboo – hopefully a giant panda won’t come along and try to eat a doggie named Bamboo!
- Chubbs – a name for a dog on the pudgy side!
- Chi Chi
Pug Dog Names
The American Kennel Club describes Pugs as ‘even-tempered’ and ‘charming’ – clearly, these little pups can do no wrong!
One thing a dog like this should avoid is hot temperature, as their shorter noses can make it harder for them to breathe.
Make sure to keep to a minimum amount of exercise in really hot weather and don’t leave them in the car on sunny days.
What do you think of these simple Pug names below?
Our Favorite Name
perfect for a dog with coffee-colored fur!
- Missy – perfect for a princess!
- Pip – Pip is a perfect name for a puppy!
- Watson – Sherlock Holmes’ loyal sidekick is a great name for a loyal dog breed
- Dozy – for a Pug who loves to sleep all day!
- Goldie – perfect for a pooch with a gold fur coat!
- Tic-Tac – great for a tiny, but energetic, pup!
- Pearl – this elegant pup deserves a graceful name!
- Scrappy – like the nephew of Scooby Doo, this rambunctious dog wants to be the center of attention!
- Noggin – Pug’s are iconic because of their large heads but small bodies!
- Sniffles – because of their squished noses, they make a lot of sniffly sounds
Black Pug Names
If you love the deep, inky color of your black dog’s fur, then why don’t you give them a name related to it?!
Words associated with astrology and the night sky are perfect Pug names for a jet-colored puppy!
Weather-related words also complement their coat brilliantly, although a calm and smooth-tempered Pug won’t relate to a storm in any way other than its color.
Our Favorite Name
for a cool and mysterious Pug…
- Ghost – this scary name will still suit a cute dog!
- Storm – a chaotic name for a calm-tempered dog breed!
- Eclipse – this rare lunar event suits a unique pooch!
- Eight Ball – name your dog after this black eight ball
- Black Pearl – hopefully there is no such thing as ‘the curse of the black pearl’!
- Pepper – just don’t give your Pug any pepper – it’ll make them sneeze!
- Nero – this word means ‘black in Italian’ but is also the name of a mean Roman Emperor!
- Cosmo – a perfect name for a dog who loves the stars!
- Raven – a name that Edgar Allen Poe would be proud of!
- Huntress – this name is for a fierce warrior, if you can find any!
- Guinness – name your dog after this dark alcoholic drink
- Oreo – maybe this is like your Pug: hard on the outside but soft in the middle!
- Hecate – Greek goddess of the night and the moon
- Midnight – perfect for a pooch with a jet-black fur coat
Just like Pugs were brought to English shores in 1689 by William of Orange, we’ve brought this list of Pug names to you!
Remember to leave us a comment telling us your favorite Pug name from this list, and also let us know of any other great names we didn’t mention!
If you know any other pug-lovers, then be sure to send them this list of names – it might convince them to get another one.