Congratulations, you have made the decision to welcome a tomcat cat into your family, now it’s time to pick from our terrific male cat names.
It is going to be exciting bringing your new tom into your home – did you know that male kitties are nicknamed tomcats?
Sometimes it can be difficult to decide on a name that really feels perfect.
Luckily, we are here to help.
Finding a name that really suits your cat’s character and personality is key; whether he’s playful and mischievous or sleepy and snuggly, this guide will make it easy for you to find a fitting name for your new feline friend.
Cool Male Cat Names
In this list we have found fifty cool names to choose from, guaranteed to make your furry friend sound like the coolest Tom on the block.
It is so easy to find different sources of inspiration to help name your cat, although it can be helpful to pick a name that best suits their personality – but this doesn’t mean it can’t be cool too.
These trendy names range from figures in classical mythology, like Thor, to names that just sound plain bad-ass like Maddox!
Take your pick from the list below, and choose the purrrfect name for your male cat.
Our Favorite Name
Our favorite and another Norse God, Loki is the well-known trickster God, making this name pawfect for a cheeky and mischievous Kitty.
- Bourbon – The national drink of the USA
- Indiana – This would be great for a cat who loves to explore
- Odin – Norse God of Wisdom
- Simba – After all, your ball of fluff is distantly related to lions
- Stich – Lilo and Stich is a Disney classic
- Thor – the Norse God of thunder
- Tut – Name your feline to their ancient roots (Pharaoh Tutankhamun)
- Zane – Meaning ‘Gift from God’ in Hebrew
- Zeus – Greek God of Thunder
Unique Male Cat Names
Finding something creative and quirky really sets your Tomcat out from the rest. But, what name will really make your cat seem King of the kitties?
Giving your fur-ball a unique name has never been easier.
With over forty names below and tonnes of inspiration, ranging from popular TV shows and favorite musicians, there is bound to be a name that stands out to you.
Our Favorite Name
After the legend, Frank Sinatra – this would be great for a cat with lots of swagger.
- Berlioz – For a classy Tom (from Disney’s ‘The Aristocats’)
- Bowie – A name fitting for a truly eccentric ball of fluff
- Cupid – Because your Kitty is bound to steal more hearts!
- Figaro – Another Disney classic from the film Pinnochio
- Hercules – A mythological hero, perfect for your strong and proud Tom
- Lionel – “Say you, say Meow” (a classic Lionel Richie song)
- Plato – We all know a cat who sits and stares broodily off into the distance
- Shere Khan
- Sylvester – “suffern’ succotash” one for all you Looney-Tunes fans!
- Top Cat
Cute Male Cat Names
This list contains some absolutely adorable naming options for your male Kitty.
See below for our best cute male cat names, that are going to make you say “awhhh.”
Our Favorite Name
One of the world’s favorite cookies. This would be the perfect name for a black and white moggy.
- Bambi – A sweet and innocent name, very fitting for your cuddly ball of fluff
- Cappuccino – Excellent for a coffee-colored cat
- Cheddar – Everyone’s favorite snack can now also be everyone’s favorite cat
- Chewbacca – From the Star Wars movies
- Pickle – An adorable name for your furry friend
Funny Male Cat Names
Did you know that Cats are distant relatives of some of the wild big cats we have in the wild today?
We would certainly rather have a moggy than a tiger in our home.
Though not as scary, they definitely make us roar with laughter, our cats can do funny and silly things, which is why we love them so much.
So, why not give them a name that matches their hilarious tendencies?
These names range from puns to just strange, or silly sounding names for your Tom. They’re hisssstericle! Our personal favorite is ‘Barfolomeow’ – What’s yours?
Our Favorite Name
Are you a literature lover? If you are, William Shakespurr is a great way to pay homage to one of the most esteemed play writes in the world (It’s a pretty funny name too).
- Ali Cat
- Bob Meowerly
- Captain Kibble
- Cat in the Hat
- Cat Man
- Chairman Meow – This name is so hilarious, even Ellen Degenres couldn’t resist
- Colin Feral
- Cool Whip
- Count Catular
- David Meowie
- Feline Dion
- Grumpy Cat – From the viral ‘Grumpy Cat’ meme
- Hairy Potter
- Henry Hissinger – Henry Kissinger would surely approve
- Holden Clawfield
- Leonardo DeCatrio
- Lil Bub
- Puddy Tat
- Puss’n Boots
- Santa Claws
- Scat Cat
- Sloppy Joe
- Top Cat – A tip-top name for a cat that thinks he is the boss
- Yabba Dabba Doo!
Black Male Cat Names
Did you know that black-cats were thought to be a symbol of bad luck?
More specifically, it is thought to be bad luck for a black cat to cross in front of your path. Black cats are also often associated with witches.
Choose from our list below, as we have picked some names based on the color of your cat’s fur and its association with the supernatural.
These names are definitely not for any scare-de-cats though!
Our Favorite Name
This would be a purrrfectly fitting name for your black cat. The town ‘Salem’ is associated with witch trials.
- Anubis – Egyptian God who resembles a Jackal
- Bagheera – The panther from The Jungle Book
- Black Beauty
- Black Jack
- Nero – Italian for ‘black’
- Noir – French for ‘black’
- Schwarz – German for ‘black’
How to Choose A Name for Your Male Cat
Picking a name is always harder than picking a Tomcat – when you find the right cat, you know he’s the right one for you!
If only the same could be said for picking a name…
There are so many places that you can find inspiration. You can choose a name based on:
- favorite food
- favorite TV show
- favorite book
- favorite movie
Sometimes, it can be helpful to look for more obvious things that really make your kitty stand out; for example, how does your kitty behave? If he’s a sophisticated cat, then choose a sophisticated name, like Plato.
What color fur does you Tomcat have? Choosing a name based upon your cat’s fur is another fantastic way to find the right name for him.
If your cat is black, why not choose something that reminds you of his fur? Coal would be a great name for a black cat!
All these factors can generate great names. In our lists above, we hope to give you a helping paw in deciding on your male cat’s name.
Owning a male cat is an incredibly rewarding experience and we know how important it is for owners to feel like they have chosen the right name for their Tomcat.
Each cat will have its own unique personality, some are proud and strong, others sleepy and silly. But, one thing all cats have in common is they all deserve a fabulous name.
We’re pawsitive that you will find a name that’s right for you and your furry friend and hope that our lists of male cat names have given you an idea.
There is a name out there for every Tom, sometimes you just need a little bit of help finding it.