Are you looking for names for your feline that sound both beautiful and rare? Japanese cat names are a great choice!
Japan is a great place to take influence from, not only because of their beautiful language but also because in Japanese culture cats represent good fortune!
So what could be a better way to honor your pussycat?
Japan is a cat lover’s paradise, with the iconic hello kitty originating from Tokyo.
There are also plenty of cats that originate from this unique country; the Japanese bobtail being the most popular.
As you can see, Japan is one cat crazy culture, keep reading to see our favorite Japanese cat names…
Cute Japanese Cat Names
There is no doubt that your new kitten is adorable and needs a cute name to match their gorgeous appearance.
One of our favorites is Sora! Meaning sky, this is a beautiful title which is punchy but short and sweet.
We also think Haru is a loveable choice. This word means spring, which as we all know is the season for cute baby animals and so makes a great name for a kitten.
Japanese cat names are purr-haps the cutest monikers for your kitty, so why not try one from our list below?
meaning snow, how about naming a white bobtail Yuki to describe their stunning snowy white fur?
- Aki – another seasonal name, perfect for a kitten born in autumn
- Dai – meaning great/large this is ironic for a tiny kitten
- Eiji – eternity, this cute choice is fur-ever!
- Haru – spring, a gorgeous name for a gorgeous feline
- Hiro – generous
- Jiro – second son, what could be a better way to welcome your tabby home?
- Katsu – victory, cute for a naughty kitten
- Nao – honest
- Nori – to rule, your cat is bound to become the ruler of your home
- Sora – sky
- Yoshi – lucky
- Yasu – peace, pawfect for a sleepy kitten!
- Chika- flowers
- Hoshi – star
- Kawaii – cute
- Mio – beautiful cherry blossom
- Miyu – gentle
- Shiori – poem, isn’t this a beautiful and lyrical choice?
- Cho – butterfly, an elegant title that is so cute!
Female Japanese Cat Names
Japanese cat names can be a great choice for your female feline, especially if you are looking for a feminine choice.
These titles are bound to dazzle everyone you meet!
Did you know that the Japanese bobtail cat was once a symbol of luck for Buddhist monks?
So how about choosing a spiritual moniker if you are looking to name your female Japanese bob tail cat?
Haya, meaning light, would be a great choice! Or how about the name Kichi to show just how lucky you are to have your female cat?
Take a look at more below:
meaning good luck. Cats are also a symbol of good luck in Japan
- Aika – love song
- Aimi – beauty
- Amaya – night rain
- Hanako – flower child, or in this instance flower kitty!
- Haya – light, a spiritual word
- Nami – wave
- Ren – water lily
- Sakura – Japanese word for cherry blossom
- Seki – wonderful, a new cat is a wonderful addition to any family!
- Yubi – graceful
Male Japanese Cat Names
If you are choosing from Japanese cat names for a Tabby, you have come to the right place!
Here we have a huge list of over 50 male Japanese cat monikers, that we think are bound to inspire you.
Did you know that the popular video game Pokémon originates from Japan?
So how about choosing a fun name for your cat like Pikachu, which is bound to be popular with the kids?
Or if you are looking for a more serious-sounding name for your pussycat, Fudo makes a strong masculine name and means the God of fire and Wisdom.
Enjoy reading through our a-paw-able choices:
literally meaning big boy. A great title for a city tom cat who knows who owns the territory!
- Akemi – beauty of dawn
- Botan – peony, flowers are pretty just like your kitty
- Daisuke – great helper
- Eichi – wisdom
- Fudo – God of fire and wisdom
- Genki – lively one, kittens are certainly energetic
- Ken – healthy and strong, cats are said to have nine lives
- Kichi – good luck
- Kishi – sea shore, again a watery name
- Masaaki – brightness
- Nikko – sunshine
- Raidon – God of thunder
- Samurai – after the ancient Japanese warrior
Popular Japanese Cat Names
Anything from popular Japanese names to interesting cultural icons can all make popular Japanese Cat names.
Did you know that Aoshima is an island off the coast of Japan that is said to be cat island?
There are more feline residents there than humans!
This would make a great name for your kitty.
We also love the name Totoro! A magical creature from the popular Studio Ghibli film, who is a well-liked figure in Japan. Totoro is definitely a funny choice for your kitten.
the word used for addressing royalty or the Gods. We all know that cats like to be looked up to!
- Mario – from Japanese company Nintendo’s game series!
- Yasu- peace
- Meowth – from the Japanese game Pokemon!
- Neko – this word literally means cat
- No-face – after the popular studio Ghibli character!
- Tokyo – one of the world’s mega cities and the capital of Japan.
- Sumo – An ancient Japanese sport
- Hinata – facing the sun
- Takeo – warrior hero
- Maki – A delicious type of sushi!
- Maneki – The figure of the beckoning cat
- Kyoto – The former capital of Japan
- Manga – after Japanese cartoons
Cat Names In Japanese With Their Meanings
When looking for inspiration for the perfect Japanese name for your feline, how about looking at Japanese words and the meanings behind them?
Our top pick would be Tora, meaning tiger! This name would suit a ginger cat, either moggy or pedigree like a mainecoon very well.
Or if you are looking for a purr-ty name, how about Niji meaning rainbow? This would be an ameowzing name for a tortoiseshell-colored cat with its multi-colored fur.
Here is our list of Japanese words and meanings that would make the best cat names.
meaning dragon in Japanese, this is a ferocious name if your cat is as ginger as fire this would be a great choice
- Momo – peach
- Ringo – apple
- Ichigo – strawberry
- Mochi – sticky rice
- Ran – orchid
- Tora – tiger
- Tenshi – angel
- Miruku – milk
- Nezumi – mouse
- Zou – elephant
- Keki – cake
- Orenji – orange, great for a ginger cat!
- Niji – rainbow
- Hina – chick
- Kasumi – fog, great for a grey long haired persian
- Sayuri – little lily
- Natsumi – beautiful summer
- Shinju – pearl
- Kuma – bear
- Raion – lion
- Natsu – born in the summer
- Oki – ocean
Common Japanese Cat Names
If you are looking for a cat name from the land of the rising sun, common Japanese cat names are a good place to start!
Our top pick from this list is Touma which means the top of the mountain and is perfect for your tomcat who is going to be king of the neighborhood.
These choices are popular and traditional monikers that are great for a dignified pussycat:
blossoming flower, your kitten will blossom into a full grown cat soon enough
- Touma – top of the mountain, or sofa more like
- Himari – jasmine, a gorgeous name
- Hiro – generous and tolerant
- Toshi- bright
- Rin – dignified. We all know cats have heirs and graces!
- Kei – blessing
- Mio – doesn’t this name sound just like meow
- Nozomi- heart of hope
- Katashi – hard or firm, even though your cat is so fluffy!
- Nobu – trust
- Yui – superiority, doesn’t this just sum up your cats dignified attitude
As you can see, Japan is a cat lover’s paradise!
From our huge list of Japanese cat names there is a range of inspiration for every kitty out there, from famous foods to beautiful places.
Japanese words make purrfect choices for your feline and we hope you choose a title from this claw-some culture for your kitten.
We love all of these Japanese words and hope you do too. Did you choose a Japanese name for your kitten? Let us know below.