Here are the best, worst, most evil, and most heroic Harry Potter dog names that are sure to suit any furry friend who is a fan of Witches and Wizards names.
If you are bored of conventional dog names, and are looking for something special to you, then you have come to the right place; if you love Harry Potter of course!
From Harry and his friends to Voldemort and his Death Eaters, these are all of the possible dog names inspired by all seven of J.K. Rowling’s books.
Double, double, toil and trouble, something wicked this way comes! This list of names is sure to bring some magic into your dog’s life…
Best Harry Potter Dog Names
|Best Dog Wizard Names|
List of Harry Potter Dog Names and Meanings
- Harry – the star of the show, who is the main protagonist in the franchise. Also known as ‘the boy who lived’, he is a very powerful wizard who is tasked with defeating Voldemort and saving the wizarding world
- Ron – one of the main characters, Ron is Harry’s red-headed, witty and loyal best friend. Known for his huge family, questionable magic skills and terrible fear of spiders, this title would be perfect for a golden/ginger dog whose faithful trustworthiness is what makes them the best companion
- Hermione – an incredibly smart, young witch, Hermione is known for her know-it-all quips and her mad, frizzy hair. This moniker would suit an intelligent female pooch with wild fur that doesn’t sleep
- Voldemort – The Dark Lord, or ‘He Who Must Not Be Named’. A powerful dark wizard that will stop at nothing to defeat his enemies, but clearly, he has his work cut out when it comes to Harry Potter
- Dumbledore – an incredibly powerful wizard and the headmaster of Hogwarts, Dumbledore is one of the only people who could be a match for Voldemort. With a long, gray beard, Dumbledore is striking and imposing and would make a perfect namesake for a dog with impeccable leadership qualities
- Neville – Neville Longbottom is the biggest underdog in the whole series. He goes from an awkward, geeky teenager, to a brave, strong, and determined hero
- Luna – perfect for a unique puppy that you could never mistake for someone else! Luna Lovegood has a beautiful, honest heart and a quirky personality, and a sense of style. Luna helped many a time with her intelligence and unique view of the world
- Snape – Severus Snape, the Potions teacher, is well-known at Hogwarts for his snide, sarcastic quips, and hate for Harry. He has shoulder-length black hair, always wears black robes, and might just be involved with the darker side of magic. Perfect for a dog with black fur
- Draco – a rich wizard with golden blonde hair that ended up an enemy. Draco comes from a long line of pure-blooded wizards and has the same prejudice and arrogance that they all have. This dog name would be great for a pedigree, pure-bred dog that looks down on its peers
- Hedwig – A snowy, white owl that remained faithful, trustworthy, and reliable companion throughout Hogwarts. A perfect choice for a furry friend whose fur is as white as snow, or a pooch that you’d trust to send an important and confidential message
- Dobby – this house-elf is incredibly pure-hearted and doesn’t have a bad bone in his body. Dobby has both caused trouble for Harry and saved him from danger, but his intentions are always good. This Harry Potter dog name is our favorite and perfect for the most kind-hearted and caring puppy
- Ginny – Ginny Weasley is Ron’s younger sister, the only daughter in that huge family, and happens to have a huge crush on Harry. Ginny is cool, calm, and collected in times of danger, which makes up for her nervous disposition when it comes to her brother’s best friend. A great choice for a female, ginger, adorable pet
- James – James Potter, Harry’s father, was heroic, determined and incredibly brave. He and his wife were not afraid of Voldemort and refused to hand themselves over to evil. James was popular and cool, so would make a great title for a well-loved, cool dog that could easily save the day!
- Lily – Lily Potter was an incredibly loving person, even until the very end. Her noble, uncorrupted love is what saved her son, making him the only person to ever go against Voldemort, and live. Lily is a fantastic dog name for any pooch that has a huge heart and a lot of love to give
- Hagrid – probably most well-known for his bushy beard, huge stature, and his love for all magical creatures! Hagrid is the gamekeeper at Hogwarts, and later ‘Care of Magical Creatures’ teacher. He is half-giant so would make a perfect namesake for a huge dog, such as a Great Dane or a Doberman
- Fang – a large black hound that belongs to Hagrid, and accompanies Harry, Ron, and Hermione on a few adventures. Great for a dog of bold and imposing stature, but really they wouldn’t hurt a fly
- Fawkes – Dumbledore’s phoenix. When Fawkes dies he has the ability to be reborn from his own ashes, making him an immortal, incredible bird to accompany the wise old headmaster
- Sirius – Sirius Black, a friend of James, has had a difficult life since the death of his friend. Sirius is funny, charming, and loyal, but this won’t get him far in Azkaban, the prison of the wizarding world. A great wizard dog name for a cheeky puppy who is always getting in trouble
- Bellatrix – Bellatrix Lestrange is a Death Eater and one of Voldemort’s most loyal servants. Bellatrix loves to spread terror, death, and darkness all over the wizarding world, her craziness and eccentricity make her a force to be reckoned with
- Cho – Cho Chang is Harry’s first love interest, their relationship blossoming during the Dumbledore’s Army training in the Room of Requirement in their fifth year. Cho is shy, quiet and kind-hearted, the perfect option for a delicate and graceful pet pooch
- Lupin – Remus Lupin, a friend of James Potter and teacher of Defence Against the Dark Arts in Harry’s third year and is also a werewolf. Lupin is the best choice for any Husky, because of their shared canine qualities. Smart, brave and heroic, and at times hairy with sharp teeth and claws, Lupin is the perfect namesake for any furry friend out there
- Fleur – Fleur Delacour is one of the most delicate and graceful Harry Potter characters. She twirls her way into the Great Hall in Harry’s fourth year, as a Triwizard Tournament contestant. But Fleur’s beauty and grace don’t stop her from fighting off a dragon, so she would make a perfect namesake for a daring but dashing pup
- Cedric – Cedric Diggory is handsome, charming and brave. He is Hogwarts’ contestant for the Triwizard Tournament, alongside Harry Potter, which brings nothing but trouble and bad news. Cedric would be a fantastic title for a pooch that is built on sheer strength and determination, with a dash of handsomeness and charm
- Buckbeak – Buckbeak is a Hippogriff (a magical creature) that Harry encounters in his third year. Hippogriffs are ‘very proud creatures’, and would make a great namesake for a majestic dog that leaves everyone around it in awe
- Nymphadora – also known as Tonks, is an amazing witch and part of the Order of the Phoenix. She has the ability to change her hair color at will, with it sometimes changing from purple to red when her mood turns. One of our favorite Harry Potter dog names, and perfect for an eccentric, unique puppy
- Dursley – the name of the Muggle family Harry stays with, consisting of Dudley, Petunia, and Vernon. They are all characterized by how rude, mean, and stingy they are. This would be a funny dog name for a grumpy pooch that never seems to be happy
- Pettigrew – Peter Pettigrew, also known as Scabbers when he is in rat form, was once the friend of the Potters, but he betrayed them and turned his allegiance to Voldemort. Both would be a funny name for a dog that has some rat-like features and isn’t the most loyal
- Crookshanks – the name of Hermione’s pet ginger cat. Crookshanks is often irritable and scratchy, but she knows from a mile off that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to Ron’s pet rat, Scabbers
- Nagini – Voldemort’s loyal snake that slithers after him and is equally as menacing and horrifying as he is. A funny snake name for a furry friend that can skulk and slink around like a snake
- Seamus – Seamus Finnigan is one of Harry’s friends and a fellow Gryffindor. He is known for his shaky magical abilities, often blowing things up in his face when performing a spell. This is perfect for a rambunctious doggie that always makes a mess!
- Dean – Dean Thomas is another Gryffindor and friend of Harrys. He loves football and is a good, loyal friend, so would make a perfect namesake for a playful, fun-loving pup
- Quirrell – Professor Quirrell was Harry’s Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher in his first year at Hogwarts. Quirrell seemed slightly suspicious, but not as suspicious as Snape, who Harry turned his attention to
- Viktor – Viktor Krum is a huge, imposing, strong student from the Durmstrang Institute, and a contestant of the Triwizard Tournament. This would be great for a large dog that can sometimes be intimidating
- Umbridge – Delores Umbridge was the teacher of Defence Against the Dark Arts in Harry’s fifth year. Banning students from doing just about anything, it’s safe to say that Umbridge tops the list of most hated Harry Potter characters
- McGonagall – Transfiguration teacher, and head of Gryffindor, can be strict at times, but is also one of the best teachers at Hogwarts, and lets Harry and his friends off with a lot more than she ought to! This could be the perfect title for an intelligent dog that always knows how to save the day
- Rita – Rita Skeeter, journalist for the Daily Prophet, will stop at nothing to get a good story. This would be perfect for an eccentric pooch that has no problem getting in everyone else’s business, and probably knows all your secrets more than you do!
We hope you enjoyed our list of over forty Harry Potter dog names.
Whether your furry friend is more of a hairy Hagrid or a well-groomed Fleur Delacour, we have a name to suit every dog out there.
If you have a favorite name from this list or a favorite Harry Potter character then we’d love to know in the comments below.
Be the first to comment