Is your new canine companion a German Shepherd?
German Shepherd dogs are truly a loyal and strong breed, with the first-ever trained guide dog being a puppy GSD.
We have got 350 different ideas and German Shepherd names to help the naming process go smoothly, and to provide some inspiration to help you choose the right one!
From sweet and adorable to inspirational and powerful monikers, we believe we have the best ones in our list, just waiting for you to find them.
Make sure you get to know your dog inside and out before choosing a moniker, as their size, color, temperament, and personality will help inform your decision.
Enjoy exploring all of our suggestions below!
Female German Shepherd Names
Female Shepherds are renowned for their commanding and powerful nature, so we compiled a list of inspirational and strong female figures!
We believe each of these women is inspirational in their own way, and therefore would make brilliant German Shepherd names for your incredible pet.
Think of your favorite actress, author, activist, or humanitarian, whose talents, generosity, and kindness can also be seen in your GSD, as their name could be the one you are looking for.
after ‘Bessie Coleman’, the first African-American woman to be awarded a pilot’s license!
Check out some more inspirational women, and ideas for female German Shepherd names below:
- Angela – ‘Angela Merkel’, the German Chancellor since 2005
- Anna – ‘Anna Wintour’, Vogue’s editor-in-chief since 1988
- Audrey – the first name of actress, singer and humanitarian ‘Audrey Hepburn’
- Beyoncé – the singer and actress
- Ellen – ‘Ellen DeGeneres’, host of her own talk show and LGBT activist
- Emma – ‘Emma Watson’, the actress and women’s rights activist
- Geisha – the CEO of PG&E, ‘Geisha Williams’
- Gloria – American journalist ‘Gloria Steinem’
- Kyi – the surname of activist and politician ‘Aung San Suu Kyi’
- Margaret – ‘Margaret Cavendish’, the English duchess, scientist and author
- Maya – ‘Maya Angelou’, the inspiring poet and author
- Michelle – the first name of lawyer, writer and First Lady ‘Michelle Obama’
- Nadia – ‘Nadia Murad’, human rights activist
- Oprah – famous American actress, TV host, humanitarian and businesswoman ‘Oprah Winfrey’
- Ruth – ‘Ruth Bader Ginsburg’ of the U.S. Supreme Court of Justice
- Sheryl – the first name of Facebook COO ‘Sheryl Sandberg’
- Sylvia – ‘Sylvia Plath’, the writer who was unafraid to break the boundaries of writing
- Tarana – founder of the #MeToo movement, ‘Tarana Burke’
- Toni – ‘Toni Morrison’, the first black woman to have been presented the Nobel Prize in Literature
- Yara – ‘Yara Shahidi’, American activist and actress
- Candy/ Candice
German Shepherd Names For Boys
The best dog names showcase the amazing qualities of your individual pet.
Male German Shepherds are known for their kindness, intelligence, strength, or resilience.
Some of our suggestions take inspiration from historical figures who have proved their determination and strength and therefore would make exceptional monikers for German Shepherds.
We have also included some names based on other animals with similar traits (e.g. wolves, lions and ravens).
Hopefully, all of these monikers will embody all of your canine’s wonderful traits…
a powerful name to showcase the strength and might of these amazing animals!
- Arrow – perfect for an intelligent canine who is as sharp as an arrow!
- Bambi – the adorable baby deer from Disney’s ‘Bambi’, a great choice for a cute pooch!
- Bandit – a cool name for a wild dog!
- Coco – perfect for a pooch with dark, chocolate-colored fur
- Flash – for a furry friend who runs at the speed of light!
- Gem – for a special and precious canine
- Honey – perfect for a GSD with honey-toned fur!
- King – a bold word for a strong and commanding pooch!
- Leia – after the strong-willed princess from the ‘Star Wars’ franchise
- Leo – meaning ‘lion’, a powerful choice for a resilient boy who is unafraid of danger!
- Maximus – from the Latin meaning ‘greatest’
- Nero – after the Roman Emperor from AD. 54-68
- Raven – one of the best names for a GSD with dark, black fur
- Rebel – a unisex GSD title, perfect for a dog who hates abiding by the rules!
- Sandy – perfect for a GSD with light, blonde fur
- Shadow – a great choice for a mysterious canine with dark fur
- Sirius – the kind and gentle animagus from J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter
- Soldier – for a powerful, commanding and courageous GSD!
- Thor – the strong and powerful ‘Marvel’ character
- Wolf – a great name for a GSD with wolfish qualities!
- Arnold/ Arnie
Cool German Shepherd Names
Without a doubt, the coolest German Shepherd dog names are unique words that make people say ‘wow!’ when they hear it.
Our list contains some of the coolest choices and words around, containing words not often associated with dogs, but they also have great meanings!
The best way to find a cool moniker for your dog is to think outside the box during the naming process.
Don’t just to stick to classic dog names.
Take your time to think up some funky and quirky choices, as the best choices are generated after some trial and error.
after the people associated with the ancient city of Troy, a unique choice for the trendiest pooch around.
- Alekya – an Indian word meaning ‘a beautiful painting’
- Arros – the ‘Arros River’ in Southwestern France
- Aslan – the brave, heroic lion from C. S. Lewis’ ‘The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe’
- Benz – half of the luxury German automobile manufacturers ‘Mercedes-Benz’
- Buzo – meaning ‘diver’ in Spanish, a great choice for a GSD who loves to swim!
- Caesar – the surname of the Roman dictator ‘Julius Caesar’
- Czar – a Russian title meaning ‘ruler’ or ‘emperor’
- Euro – one of our favorite German Shepherd names
- Fila – an Italian sports clothing company, founded in 1911
- Gigi – the first name of famous model ‘Gigi Hadid’
- Iso – a term within chemistry meaning ‘equal’
- Juno – the queen of the heavens from Greek mythology
- Keizer – a Dutch surname meaning ‘emperor’, perfect for a noble GSD
- Liara – a mixture of the name ‘Liana’, meaning ‘my God has answered’, and ‘Leora’, meaning ‘light’
- Mambo – a Latin American dance, with a similar rhythm to the rumba!
- Mowgli – a fictional character from Rudyard Kipling’s ‘The Jungle Book’
- Onyx – a powerful, black gemstone, believed to have dark qualities
- Phoenix – a bird from classical mythology, who lived in the Arabian desert
- Tosca – a unique Italian word meaning ‘one who originates from Tuscany’
- Xylo – short for Xylophone, the percussion instrument with wooden bars
Popular German Shepherd Names
The most popular German Shepherd dog names are often common and classic words which showcase the amazing qualities of these canines.
But, everyone wants their pet to stand out, and be memorable in comparison to others.
So for some of these words, we have given their short form with one syllable, like ‘Pip’ and ‘Ace’.
We hope you’ll agree that they make the most popular choices!
Help to give your pet the best choice by giving them German Shepherd names that show their true personality.
an adorable name for a cheeky, rebellious pet!
- Ace – a short and sweet choice for the best GSD in the world!
- Alpha – the greatest name to show off strength and bravery
- Angel – for the most well-behaved pet!
- Athena – Greek goddess of wisdom and war
- Autumn – perfect for a GSD with autumnal shades, such as orange and red, in its fur!
- Bear – a great word for a big, furry dog!
- Bolt – for an athletic German Shepherd who loves to sprint!
- Champ – perfect for a pooch who always wins!
- Cleopatra – after the powerful Egyptian ruler, perfect for a strong, female German Shepherd!
- Dino – for a GSD who resembles a dinosaur in its height and temperament!
- Earl – a great title for a noble GSD!
- Gizmo – a funky choice to showcase your GSD’s unique qualities!
- Jewel – perfect for the most precious pet
- Major – after the powerful military rank
- Oreo – perfect for a black and white GSD!
- Pip – a short and adorable word for a tiny GSD!
- Prince – a noble choice for a commanding male GSD
- Princess – perfect for a strong and beautiful female German Shepherd
- Scarlett – for a stunning female German Shepherd with red shades in her fur!
- Venus – after the Goddess of love and beauty
Which Name Should You Choose?!
Choosing from the perfect German Shepherd names is an incredibly enjoyable, but meticulous process.
It is important for you to research potential choices, and to think carefully about what sort of moniker suits your dog:
- You should avoid using words that may be slightly too long or may appear obnoxious and tenuous to say all of the time. So, names like Sir Fluffington the First may be off the cards…
- Avoid names that are part of a passing trend too, these choices get very old, very quickly if you’re forced to call out the name of your favorite YouTuber!
- Finally, according to scientific behavioral research, a dog’s name can also act as a cue in training and dogs have a preference for short and snappy sounds.
Choosing a good German Shepherd name will make your dog much easier to train in the future, so choose wisely!
After exploring our ideas for names, we hope you’ve landed on the perfect one.
Whether it was the exotic ‘Fila’, the inspirational ‘Loyle’ or the adorable ‘Prince’ that caught your eye, we hope it was exactly what you were looking for!
Hopefully, some of these names were particularly eye-catching – we really like the female German Shepherd names!
We all know how pressurizing and stressful it can be to pick a title, so lists like these tend to be a massive lifeline.
Try not to think of it as a chore, but rather something fun.
Hope you find that pawsome name, if you have any more amazing ideas, please leave them in the comments.