If you have just welcomed a fabulous new lizard into your family and are looking for perfect Gecko names to suit its unique and vibrant traits, then look no further than our list.
We have over 120 Gecko names to suit all types from Leopard to Crested.
In addition to breed monikers we have the cutest or most badass pet lizards titles around.
Before you begin, remember to enjoy the naming process and have fun finding the perfect title for your amazing animal!
Leopard Gecko Names
Leopard Geckos make amazing pets, due to their incredible patterned scales and unique looks.
These pets differ from most other Lizards because of their lack of toe pads, which prevent them from climbing up surfaces without grip.
The wealth of colors they come in (from whites to tangerines) can provide some great inspiration for names, as can their amazing patterns and personalities.
Look for words which show off your Leopard’s unique patterns, as these can generate some great ideas to make your pet Lizard stand out from the crowd.
a beautiful name meaning a collection of stars forming a pattern, reflecting the amazing patterns on a Leopard Gecko’s scales
Check out some more options below:
- Apollo – Greek for ‘manly beauty’
- Asia – after the home of many Leopard Geckos
- Crawler – reflecting the unique way that Lizard’s move
- Diva – a great choice for a sassy Gecko!
- Dotty – short for ‘Dorothy’, and reflective of their unique spots
- Freckles – the perfect choice for a speckly Leopard
- Ginger – a great moniker for an orange pet
- Honey – a beautiful choice for an animal with honey-colored scales
- Jewel – perfect for a beautiful and precious reptile!
- Leopardo – meaning ‘leopard’ in Portuguese
- Merlin – from Arthurian legend meaning ‘falcon’
- Nina – a Native American name meaning ‘strong’
- Oreo – the perfect choice for a black and white Leopard
- Peacock – a great name to show off your Gecko’s amazing patterns
- Pepper – for a black and white reptile
- Queenie – for a precious and bold female pet
- Rex – a Latin word meaning ‘King’
- Romeo – from Shakespeare’s play ‘Romeo and Juliet’
- Tangerine – the perfect option for an orange animal
- Ursula – made famous by Shakespeare’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing’
Crested Gecko Names
Crested Geckos make great pets, due to their low-maintenance and relaxed nature.
They are native to southern New Caledonia, and their origins can provide some great inspiration for Gecko names.
Their huge eyes and raised scales make them appear similar to dragons and dinosaurs, therefore words relating to mythological creatures are fantastic to showcase these unique features…
after the fictional dragon from Disney’s Mulan, the perfect choice for red or orange reptiles!
Explore some more ideas in the list below:
- Amos – a Hebrew word meaning ‘burden carried’
- Angelina – from the Greek word ‘angelos’ meaning ‘God’s messenger’
- Bree – an Irish word for ‘strength’
- Caledonia – after the habitat of many Crested Lizards
- Cedrica – an English word for ‘chief’, the male version is ‘Cedric’
- Cleo – a Greek word meaning ‘illustrious’, short for ‘Cleopatra’
- Coco – after ‘Coco Chanel’ the famous fashion designer
- Crista – meaning ‘crest’ in Portuguese
- Darwin – an English Gecko name meaning ‘dear friend’
- Dino – short for dinosaur
- Dragon – this reptiles raised scales give a dragon-like impression
- Fire – a reference to their similarity to a dragon!
- Freddie – short for ‘Frederick’, meaning ‘one who rules peacefully’
- Gonzales – after ‘Speedy Gonzales’, the cartoon character from ‘Looney Tunes’
- Gregory – a Greek word meaning ‘watchful’, perfect for a pet with huge eyes!
- Igor – a Russian Gecko name meaning ‘peaceful warrior’
- Lightning – for a Lizard who moves as fast as a bolt of lightning
- Loki – a Norse word meaning ‘God of destruction’
- Nouméa – the capital city of New Caledonia
- Speedy – the perfect choice for a pet who can sprint fast!
Best Gecko Names
If you are looking for the best Gecko names, then look no further than famous Lizards from TV, film and comics!
As these moinkers are good enough for modern media, they must be good enough for your pet Gecko too!
You can look for words beginning with the letter ‘G’, as a bit of alliteration always gives a ring to a pet name.
Goo examples are:
- Glenda the Gecko
- Gizmo the Gecko
There are thousands of words beginning with ‘G’, so make sure you find one that oozes with personality.
a stunning choice beginning with ‘G’, perfect for a friendly Golden!
Check out some more great options:
- Chet – from ‘The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse’
- Gaelan – a Gaelic word for ‘calm’, Gael for short!
- Garet – an English word meaning ‘courageous’
- Gaspar – after ‘Gaspar Le’Gecko’ from the animation ‘Brandy and Mr. Whiskers’
- Geico – after ‘Geico Gecko’ from the ‘GEICO’ commercials
- Genius – a good choice for a smart pet!
- Gergo – a Hungarian moniker meaning ‘watchful’, ‘Gergo the Gecko’ has a great ring to it!
- Gertrude – a German word for ‘strong spear’
- Gex – from the video game Gecko
- Gideon – meaning ‘feller of trees’ in Hebrew
- Gil – meaning ‘happiness’
- Gisella – French meaning ‘pledge’
- Gizmo – a funny pet name and a type of gadget
- Glenda – Welsh for ‘fair’ and ‘good’
- Gloria – a beautiful Latin moniker meaning ‘glory’ and ‘respect’
- Gretchen – German meaning ‘little pearl’
- Guinevere – Welsh for ‘white’ and ‘smooth’, perfect for a white speckled Lizard
- Hodari – from the animation ‘The Lion Guard’
- Lizzie – great for a female Lizard!
- Vinnie – from the TV series ‘Littlest Pet Shop’
Cool Gecko Names
Finding the coolest names for a Lizard sounds like a difficult task, however our tips will make this process easy and fun!
Begin by focusing on the most unique names possible, as the rarer the word, the cooler it often is!
You want to make everyone who hears your Lizard’s moniker ‘wow!’.
Try researching Gecko names in other languages, as these word are more unique and have brilliant meanings behind them.
Our final trick is to find cool words and spell them backwards, as this often generates quirky choices which no one has ever used before! Give it a go!
a male Greek name meaning ‘time of peace’, which is a cool choice for a chilled-out Gecko!
Explore some more of our suggestions below:
- Celeste – meaning ‘celestial’ in French
- Chiko – a Japanese name meaning ‘thousand’
- Enzo – short for the cool Italian nome ‘Lorenzo’
- Erehwon – the word ‘nowhere’ spelt backwards
- Etoile – the Spanish word for ‘star’
- Lagarto – Galician for ‘lizard’
- Lindo – ‘cute’ in Italian
- Lisko – ‘lizard’ in Finnish
- Malone – after famous American rapper and singer
- Miya – a Japanese word for ‘beauty’
- Musker – ‘lizard’ in Basque
- Nacirema – the word ‘American’ spelt backwards
- Nevaeh – ‘heaven’ spelt backwards
- Okceg – the word ‘gecko’ spelt backwards, what would be more fitting?
- Othello – after Shakespeare’s fallen hero from his play
- Rylee – ‘courageous’ in Irish
- Tuko – ‘gecko’ in Filipino
- Yensid – the word ‘Disney’ spelt backwards
- Zephyr – ‘a soft, gentle breeze’
- Zora – ‘dawn’ in Slavik
Cute Gecko Names
If your Gecko is the most adorable Lizard on the block, then consider looking for a cute choice to suit their adorable nature!
When looking for a cute word, the sound is very important too.
So make sure you focus on gentle, soft-sounding words, such as ‘Mushu’ and ‘Suzu’, as these will suit the cutest, most tranquil Lizards!
The meaning behind a word is also very important, so look for names with happy, adorable and friendly meanings to showcase just what makes your pet so cute.
a Greek word meaning ‘blind seer’, and the name of Shakespeare’s fairy queen from ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’
Check out some more cute Gecko names below:
- Angel – an adorable word meaning ‘messenger from God’
- Bijou – French for ‘jewel’
- Emerald – a cute and beautiful name for a green Gecko!
- Fluffy – a funny but cute choice for a Lizard who is anything but fluffy!
- Indigo – an adorable option for a deep blue-colored pet
- Kami – meaning ‘divine aura’
- Keiji – meaning ‘joyous’
- Margot – French for ‘pearl’
- Mushu – after the dragon from the Disney film ‘Mulan’
- Peanut – this tiny nut makes the perfect choice for a tiny Gecko!
- Rainbow – a cute and colorful word for a multi-colored Lizard
- Reeta – Finnish for ‘pearl’
- Rolo – ‘famous wolf’ in Spanish
- Sephira – after the dragon from ‘Eragon’
- Sienna – Latin, used to describe an orangey-red color
- Silver – the perfect choice for a silver Lizard!
- Sugar – a sweet word for a sweet pet Gecko!
- Suzu – ‘bell’ in Japanese
- Teal – a cute word for a blue or green-colored Lizard
- Yuval – a Japanese name meaning ‘lily child’
Badass Gecko Names
If your pet is strong and fierce, a badass title would be the perfect match!
When looking for the most badass Gecko names, begin with finding a word which packs a punch, and sounds fierce when said out loud.
Good monikers will have plosive consonants!
Explore words from Greek mythology, like ‘Achilles’ and ‘Leda’, as many Greek heroes and heroines were badass figures who did great and powerful things.
a Latin name and sign of the zodiac meaning ‘bull’
Check out some more below:
- Achilles – the warrior hero from Homer’s ‘Iliad’
- Ajax – ‘eagle’ in Greek
- Ares – after the Greek God of war
- Ari – a Hebrew word meaning ‘lion’
- Astra – a Greek moniker from the word ‘Astron’, meaning ‘star’
- Brutus – one of the ultimate badass names
- Crusher – a strong and badass choice for a pet
- Drake – ‘dragon’ in English
- Echo – the mythical Greek nymph
- Goliath – after the biblical Philistine giant
- Helios – meaning ‘sun’
- Iago – Shakespeare’s villain from ‘Othello’
- Indiana – the intrepid explorer ‘Indiana Jones’
- Kenji – ‘strong’ and ‘intelligent’ in Japanese
- Kong – the giant monster, who resembles a huge ape
- Leda – the mythological Greek Queen of Sparta
- Orion – a Greek word for ‘son of fire’
- Phoenix – meaning ‘deep red’
- Una – a German title meaning ‘noble leader’
- Ursula – after the badass villain from Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’
We hope you have enjoyed exploring our Gecko names and have come one step close to naming your perfect Lizard.
Whether it was the adorable ‘Kami’, the powerful ‘Iago’ or the cool ‘Tuko’ which you liked, we hope it suits your new Lizard perfectly.
If you didn’t quite find the perfect moniker – don’t give up!
Make sure you keep researching words and trying them out, as the best way to find a great title is trial and error!
If you have any more ideas for great Lizard names, please leave them in the comments below.