Why not choose a French dog name for your new furry best friend?
Like Spanish pet names; they are stylish, fun, sophisticated and are bound to give your pup that French je nais se quoi attitude.
Are you looking for a new name for your Poodle or French Bulldog?
Whether you’ve just come back from your trip to Paris or are looking for a name à la mode, you’ve come to the right place.
France is famous for fashion, food, and beautiful cities, all of which can be an inspiration for naming your new dog. See below for the most popular chic French dog names.
Male French Dog Names
Here we have a huge selection of classic French male dog names that are sure to give your dog that air of French sophistication.
How about you pick a name from a popular French folktale, like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast?
Alternatively, would you like an ultra-cool name for a smaller canine, like Rémy?
See below for many more ideas for French male dog names, and a few of our top picks explained:
Meaning lion, this is a fun name for a playful pup, ironic for a smaller dog!
- Félix – a cheerful name meaning happy and lucky
- Gaston – from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (French-originated fairy tale)
- Hector- meaning ‘to restrain’ ideal for an excited puppy!
- Hercule – The French name for a mythological hero Hercules
- Marcel – effortlessly French, sounding dignified and classy
- Noël – a festive name for a husky or St Bernard?
Female French Dog Names
French names for female dogs are perfect for when you want a feminine sounding name that screams elegance and style.
These names are classic and cute, and inspiration can be taken from anything from French female icons to literary figures, such as Joan of Arc.
Our top pick from this list would be Blanche, (meaning white), try this name out on your Samoyed or Dalmatian!
This name belonged to the Queen of the Franks (from the 5th century), a medieval name will give your pup a strong and independent edge
- Joan – after Joan of Arc (national heroine of France)
- Mirabelle – meaning wonderful, just like your new edition to the family!
Popular French Dog Names
This list is full of classic French names that are popular in France and typical names for French dogs that make striking names for puppies.
Popular names can be inspired from the most popular names in France, or from classic aspects of the French culture that will create timeless names for your puppy.
Alphonse would make an adorable name for a pampered pedigree puppy.
How sweet is the name Enzo for a little pug puppy?!
Meaning goodbye in French, this popular French saying makes a pretty pet name for a puppy
- Bastille – Bastille day is French Independence day
- Beldoin – Meaning brave friend (best choice for man’s best friend?)
- Chloé – classic and chic. A timeless French name for a Pomeranian
- Lyonette – little lion
- Mignon – a name that literally means cute
- Mila – a popular female name in France
- Pistache – pistachio, what a charming name for a petite dog!
- Victor – Victor Hugo the famous author of Les Miserables
Best French Dog Names
This list contains dog names inspired from famous French places, figures and foods that can be used as inspiration for naming your pup.
Here are our top picks of French dog names! Why not take influence from traditional French wines? Merlot (Mer- low) and Chardonnay are two of our top picks.
We love this name, why not name a delightful puppy after a classic French dessert? You are bound to get a few ooh la la’ s and this name is unique enough to stand out anywhere you go
- Anaïs – inspired by the rise of the feminist movement of the 1960s
- Antoinette – after the infamous Queen of France (for a glamorous pooch)
- Loire – a beautiful region in France making an elegant name
- Louis – name to the 14th King of France and Louis Vuitton
- Napoleon – The iconic figure of the French Revolution
- Paris – What is a more romantic name than the city of love?
French Dog Names and Meanings
Did you know that the French language is said to be the language of love?
So, what better than to name your tail wagging friend a beautiful French name with a meaning to be adored?
These romantic names roll of the tongue to give that sense of French elegance.
Meaning Red, why not give your puppy a bold and daring edge
- Amande – almond
- Amie – Meaning friend which would suit a smaller pup like a corgi
- Amour – love
- Anaïs – gracious
- Ange – angel
- Argent – silver
- Bleu – blue
- Celeste – heavenly, a spiritual sounding name for a golden retriever
- Cherie – my darling
- Ciel – sky
- Corentine – meaning hurricane suiting a mischievous puppy
- Delphine – dolphin
- Elle – This name means ‘she’ in the French
- Etoile – star
- Fleur – flower, a trendy and loveable choice
- Fraise – strawberry
- Giselle – pledge
- Honore – meaning honor suiting the loyalty of your dog
- Jolie – pretty
- Leon – lion
- Lucien – meaning ‘light’
- Maison – home
- Mavie – my life
- Maxime – meaning the greatest
- Noire – black
- Papillon – butterfly
- Perle – pearl
- Pomme – apple
- Prosper – fortunate
- Renard – fox
- Reverie – Day dream
- Rue – street
- Sage – wise one
- Soiree – party
- Soleil – sunshine
- Victoire – victory
- Violette – Violet
Dog Names for French Bulldogs
Have you recently got a French bulldog and are looking for a name to match the French finesse of their breed?
You’ve come to the right place. Did you know that French Bulldogs have both British and French origins?
These pups are a fashionable breed and are very popular in Paris, so maybe you want to choose a French name for the breed. Or maybe you would like a name that suits your Frenchie’s bubbly personality?
Inspired from Reese Witherspoon’s own French Bulldog, this name is apt for the petite size of the French bulldog
- Bat – French Bulldogs have bat-like ears
- Belle – meaning beautiful
- Cleo – The meaning of this name is Glory and fame
- Clown – French Bulldogs are renowned for their cheeky personalities
- Codee – a name that means obedient and helpful
- Fizz – A fun and playful name for these mischievous puppies
- Koji- This name belongs to Lady Gaga’s French bulldog
Choosing the Perfect French Dog Name
Does picking a name from a different culture seem like an overwhelming prospect?
Choosing the perfect French name for your dog can seem like a challenge, but, do not fear because we are here to help.
These are our top tips for finding the perfect match between French name and your puppy:
- Take inspiration from iconic aspects of French culture – like places or foods. A puppy named Beret after the famous French hat or Fondue (after the food). Or why not name your doggy after famous French celebrities? The name Chanel, for example, is a sassy choice that is bound to make sure your dog turns heads.
- Learn pronunciation. These beautiful French names can have unique pronunciations that capture the romantic flow of the French language. ‘Mavie’ is pronounced Ma-vie, ‘Soiree’ is pronounced soi-ray. The pronunciation is the essence of the parfait French name.
- Practice shouting the name in the park. With the new pronunciations, it is important that you can use the name, and that it’s easy to call your dog with. Does the name roll off your tongue? Is it easy enough to understand? If you are having difficulty, a shorter, sharper French name might work, such as Coco or Bruno.
- Match the name to your dog breed. For larger dogs like the German Shepherd or Labrador a strong French name might be fitting, try Victoire or Leon for example. Or, for a more petite pup, how about something sugary sweet like Bonbon or flirty feminine like Fleur?
By following these tips, there is no doubt that your dog will have an effortlessly chic French name that is going to turn more than just a few heads.
We hope that this huge list of unique and creative French names has helped inspire you to try a French dog name out on your new bundle of love – get ready to have the most stylish pooch in the park!
Picking a French dog name for your new canine can be an amazing way to create an elegant and modern vibe for the newest member of the family.
Does your dog already have a French name? Did we miss any of your top picks?
Let us know if you’ve chosen to name your puppy after a famous French figure, place or food by commenting down below your favorite French dog names.
Be the first to comment