Fish are some of the world’s most popular pets, with Americans owning 142 million freshwater fish.
There are lots of reasons for their popularity, including their awe-inspiring beauty, their diversity, and the calming effect they have on their owners.
It goes without saying, therefore, that stunning fish deserve perfect fish names and we have provided an extensive list of over 400 names to help you find the perfect one.
From classic fish names, to cool and cute ones, we hope you find a name that stands out and suits your fish.
Fish names are often related to water and other ocean memorabilia.
Names such as ‘Bubbles’ and ‘Coral’ make great fish names, and would suit any type of fish, regardless of its color, size, or breed.
When naming your fish, it is important to remember that you won’t be calling them very often. Therefore, unlike when choosing a dog name, naming them something with more syllables, such as ‘Anastasia’ or ‘Mrs Puff’ isn’t a problem.
Our Favorite Name
after the enchanter of wizards from Arthurian folklore. Its association with magic perfectly sums up the spellbinding nature of fish
- Sunny – for a bright goldfish!
- Dory – from Disney Pixar’s ‘Finding Nemo’
- Roberta – ‘Bobbie’ for short
- Freckles – perfect for a speckly fish!
- Mrs Puff – from ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’
- Kermit – the frog!
Funny Fish Names
Giving your fish a punny name is great fun and provides lots of entertainment!
We have made a list of our favorites, which includes puns on famous singers, actors, political figures, and TV personalities.
Given the number of words associated with fish (e.g. fish breeds, places where fish live and things that fish eat), it isn’t hard to find famous names that sound like these words!
Our Favorite Name
after the singer and actress ‘Christina Aguilera’, who is often known for her fashion statement; therefore making her a perfect unique name
- N’ Chips – pair with ‘Fish’ for a great duo!
- Salmon Cowell
- Angela Mackerel – after the German Prime Minister ‘Angela Merkel’
- Swin Shady
- Bait Middleton
- Gill Gates
- James Pond
- Tuna Turner
- Tank Sinatra
- Harley Fin
- Cod Stewart
- Lee Mackerel
- Gilly Joel
- Queen Eelizabeth
- Ivan Troutsky
- Carrie Fisher
- David Swimmer
- The Spice Gills – perfect if you have a collection of five fish!
- Paul Shoals
- Paul McCarpney
- William Hakespeare
- William Churcgill
- Jackson Pollock
- Crab and Goyle – the famous duo from J. K. Rowling’s ‘Harry Potter’
- Michael Phelps
- Benito Musselini
- Gills Aloud
- Finnie the Pooh
- Kim Carpdashian
- Guppy Goldberg
- Prawn of the Dead
- Clam Smith
- Pablo Pike-asso
- Clamilla Parker Bowles
- Santa Jaws
- Mack Jawson
- The Meg
- Kipper Middleton
- Plaice and Status
- Gillary Clinton
- Elton John Dory
- David Clameron
- Tommy Shellby – played by Sea-llian Murphy in ‘Peaky Blinders’
- Christina Aqualera
- Jess Fin
- Prawn French
- Carp Diem
- Tuna Lovegood
- Professor McGonagill – Harry Potter anyone?!
- Fillet Schofield
- Steven Eelberg
- Leo di Carprio
- Michael Bassbender
- Pikeael McIntyre
- Prawn Mendes
- Amy Brinehouse – after famous singer ‘Amy Winehouse’
- Coral Vorderman
- Reef Witherspoon
- Big Fish
- Little Fish
- Cardboard Box
Good Fish Names
A good fish name can be a classic name, or it can be something unique that makes your pet stand out from the crowd – you choose!
Consider using some popular names, such as ‘Jewel’ and ‘Angel’, and see if they suit your pet fish.
If you are looking for something more adventurous, why not name them after a famous fish from a movie, such as ‘Flounder’ from ‘The Little Mermaid’, or ‘Lenny’ from ‘Shark Tale’.
If you want something even more unique, using a different language is a great idea.
Our Favorite Name
meaning ‘fire’ in Spanish, which would perfectly suit a red-tailed Guppy
Check out some more good fish names below:
- Jewel – perfect for a shimmering fish!
- Fliss – ‘Fliss the Fish’ could be a funny tongue-twister!
- Francesca – ‘Frannie’ for short
- Cosmo – relating to the world or the universe
- Ursula – from Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’
- Apollo – national divinity of Greek Gods
- Hero – from Shakespeare’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing’
Cute Fish Names
Fish are some of the smallest pets on earth, and their tiny features make them adorable pets.
We’ve compiled a list of cute names to suit the cutest fish around!
Some adorable breeds of fish include:
- Blue Tangs
- Rainbow Parrotfish
- Clown Fish (featured in Disney Pixar’s ‘Finding Nemo’)
‘Nemo’ is, therefore, a really cute name for a fish, as are other short and sweet names such as ‘Lulu’ and ‘Tizzy’!
We suggest calling your fish a shortened version of a name, such as ‘Dotty’, short for ‘Dorothy’, as this is so much cuter!
Explore more cute fish names below:
- Daphne – or ‘Daffy’ for short
- Cleo – from Disney’s ‘Pinocchio’
- Yoshi – a character from Nintendo’s ‘Mario Kart’
- Stella – meaning ‘star’
- Yoda – a fictional character from the ‘Star Wars’ franchise
- Goldilocks – a great name for a goldfish!
- Zig Zag
- Dizzy – perfect for an energetic fish!
- Dorothy – Elmo’s goldfish
Pet Fish Names
Naming your fish can be a simple task if you know the right places to look!
Study their appearance, including their patterns, eyes, and tail which can give you lots of inspiration.
‘Belle’, from Disney’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ is a great name for a stunning, yellow fish.
‘Fleur’, meaning ‘Flower’ in French is perfect for a fish with a patterned tail, as these patterns often look like flower petals.
Looking up the scientific name for your fish can inspire great names, such as ‘Carassius auratus’, meaning ‘goldfish’ which could be shortened to ‘Cara’.
Have a look through our ideas for pet fish names to see if any suit your pet!
- Aquaman – King of the seas
- CiCi – sounds like ‘SeaSea’
- Magikarp – from the ‘Pokémon’ franchise
- Delta – where a river splits off into separate rivers before it meets the sea
- High Tide
- Low Tide
- Reef – where many beautiful fish are found
- Weed – pair with ‘sea’ for a great duo of names!
- Swedish – after the candy ‘Swedish Fish’
- Diver – perfect for a fish who loves to swim to the depths of their tank!
Cool Fish Names
There’s no doubt about it – what ultimately sets fish apart from all other pets is their cool appearance and personality.
Not only do they have laid-back personalities, and rarely cause trouble in the tank, their incredible scales make them some of the coolest pets on earth!
Some cool freshwater fish include:
- Neon Tetras, with their shimmering colors of silver, white and neon orange
- Cherry Barbs, who are not only some of the most active and entertaining pet fish, but also have bright, striking red scales
We’ve compiled a list of cool, unique and quirky names to perfectly suit your coolest fish:
- Zsa Zsa
- Sansa – from the ‘Game of Thrones’ franchise
- Yang – great if paired with ‘Yang’!
- Wasabi – a spicy, exotic plant
- Jupiter – the largest planet in the solar system
- Katniss – from the ‘Hunger Games’ franchise
- Priscilla – ‘Cilla’ for short
Strong Fish Names
Siamese Fighting Fish, or Betta Fish, make incredible pets with their magnificent fins and colors, therefore they deserve magnificent fish names to match.
Naming your Betta Fish can be great fun if you get creative!
Drawing inspiration from the world around you, such as the books you read and the colors you see, is a great idea!
It’s also important to study the color, size and variation of your fish, for example if it has a specific tail type, like a Crown Tail, a particular pattern, like a Marble, or a particular color, such as a Chocolate or a Turquoise.
- Mustard – perfect for a dark, yellow fish
- Peacock – a great name for a fish with pattered scales
- King – for a fish who rules the tank
- Pepper – suited to a speckly black and white fish
Choosing The Perfect Name For Your Pet Fish
1. Do Some Research
Find out as much as you can about your new fish! Make sure you know their breed, scientific name, and general habits, as these elements can inform your decision when you come to name them.
2. Think Carefully
Are you looking for popular and traditional names like the ones listed in our ‘Fish Names’ subheading, or something unique and exotic like the ‘Cool Names’ section?
3. Ask Friends & Family For Help
A friend with a great sense of humor might have some funny ideas for names, or a family member might have some unique ideas that you’ve never thought of!
4. Look Around You
Could anything you can see make a good name for a fish? Try looking outside, as nature-related names suit fish brilliantly.
Write down your ideas and then speak them out loud.
See which one feels better and suits your fish the best!
We hope we’ve given you some inspiration to help name your new pet fish!
We believe fish make amazing pets, and we’re sure you do too!
Whether they were cute, traditional fish names like ‘Bubbles’, or a cool exotic name like ‘Thaddeus’ that stood out to you, we hope you found the perfect one!
Whatever you choose, make sure you enjoy the naming process – it can be lots of fun if you explore lots of ideas and keep trying them out to find a great match for your swimming side-kick!
Let us know in the comments if we’ve missed any of your ideas for fish names.