Trying to choose from cool cat names for your new kitty?
This article will give you every possible name, with over 200 perfect names to fit whatever personality your awesome new cat has.
Do you want a cool, spooky name for your (contrary to popular belief, very lucky) black cat? Or perhaps a cute, perfectly themed name for your new tabby companion?
Maybe you just want to go traditional and go with a simple-but-fitting name that everyone will love? No matter how unusual, we’ve got you covered!
Read on, and find the purrfect name to make your feline feel just that little bit more loved.
Female Cool Cat Names
These gorgeous female cat names will leave your cat feline good.
From regal names (to match their royal background) to incredibly cute puns to match fur color or even a playful name that will match the various personality types that cats can have.
Female cats are in fact incredibly affectionate and motherly, which also makes them very feisty and protective as individuals.
These feisty felines will therefore need a name to match their strong-willed temperament, and these names may be just the thing…
Cleo or Cleopatra
A symbol of their royal ancestors and how well respected they were in Egyptian society
- Alice – Classically curious
- Cinnamon – Sweet, yet spicy (perfect for the tabby girls)!
- Daphne – The qualities that mirror a cat: graceful, elegant and spirited
- Hermione – The strong, intelligent and loyal heroine
- Livvy (Olivia)
- Minerva – Another Harry Potter character who can change into a cat
- Nala – The Famous Queen in the ‘The Lion King’
- Viola (Violet)
Male Cool Cat Names
Similar to female cats, male cats are also incredibly affectionate – though more specifically towards their owners than their young.
However, male cats are a lot more mischievous and fun; they are more willing to play and interact, yet they are also the descendants of lions.
These names are the perfect blend of a strong cat name belonging to a leader, mixed with something quirky and lively to help show their inner kitten, as well as their inner lion.
The magical ruler of ‘Narnia’ also the king of the Animal Kingdom. He is the perfect embodiment of what these small but perky kitties aspire to be.
- Bob – from the novel ‘A Streetcat Named Bob’
- Felix – The Swedish translation for ‘happy’
- Garfield – The most famous lasagne loving tabby
- Hunter – A lion’s key characteristic
- Leo – The best name for your little mini lion
- Loki- The Norse God of Mischief
- Michelangelo – Doesn’t always have to be a name given to turtles!
- Puss – The gutsy and loveable tabby Cat from Shrek
- Rascal – Perfect the more cheeky cats
- Simba – A very popular name for tabby male cats
- Sylvester – The roguish black and white cat from ‘Looney Tunes’
- Thor – The God of Lightening
- Tigger – The happy, bouncy tiger from our beloved ‘Winnie The Pooh’
- Tom (Tommy)
- Vinny (Vincent)
Cool Black Cat Names
Black cats are spectacularly fun to have as a pet, specifically due to their links with witches.
But, don’t be fooled, these loveable black kitties are anything but bad luck! They are, unfortunately, the least adopted type out of the feline family, and deserve a loving home – even more than they deserve to have a quirky and unique name to highlight their own unique nature.
Why not play on their links to the supernatural and try out some of these cool names to show that being magic is, in fact, a cool thing? Read on for more cool cat names:
Unique, unusual – meaning both ‘fair lady’ in Italian, but, also ‘Deadly Nightshade’. This name in particular will highlight the beauty of the cat, whilst also paying homage to her supernatural ‘roots’.
- Buffy – The iconic Vampire Slayer and feisty feminist icon
- Burton – Tim Burton the famously whimsical and gothic director
- Cheshire – The witty and wise cat from the classic ‘Alice in Wonderland
- Church – The aloof cat in ‘The Mortal Instruments’ Series
- Gizmo – lovely name for your own supernatural creature
- Jinx- This name is key kitten name material
- Maleficent – Powerful, maternal and independent
- Nova – A beautiful name, meaning ‘Star’
- Salem – The sarcastic black cat from ‘Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- Tabitha – An original witch’s name
Cool Cats of Famous People
- Meredith Grey – Taylor Swift
- Morrissey – Russell Brand
- Ollie – Ricky Gervais
- Sadie – James Mason
- Snowball – Ernest Hemmingway
- Taffy – Christopher Morley
- Timothy – Dorothy L. Sayers
- Delilah – Freddie Mercury
- Kitty Purry – Katy Perry
Five Fun Facts about Cool Cats!
There are, in fact, a multitude of fascinating secrets hidden about cats, not just secretive names, but, how important they are to society – domestically and as wild creatures.
They are beautiful, talented, and highly intelligent creatures that have been relied upon and loved by humans for centuries. Here are five facts that you may not have known about our lovely feline friends.
Cats were mummified
The Felis Catus was worshipped by the Ancient Egyptians, due to their supreme hunting abilities and ability to become easily domesticated.
This all took place up to four thousand years ago and resulted in the Early Egyptians worshipping a cat Goddess (Bastet, the daughter of Re, the Sun God).
Cats were loved so much by their owners that they would also be mummified when their owner died and buried beside them alongside the rest of their treasured belongings.
Their hearing ability is at least five times stronger than a human
Cats also have a specialized set of senses that allow them to be even more aware of their surroundings in comparison to a human.
They can rotate their ears to up to 180 degrees, and their hearing ability is at least five times stronger than a human.
Cats have ancestors over 10 million years old
Cats can be traced to a common ancestor which lived in Asia over 10.8 million years ago.
They speak CAT
Cats have very special and specific methods of communicating with their owners. For example, their meows are actually forms of speaking that they created and adapted specifically for their human owners, not just their fellow feline friends.
The domestication of cats is in progress
If their life becomes too complex or hectic with no form of consistency or routine then they may become distressed- thus their ever-changing ability to adapt and determine their surroundings.
Choosing a name for your cat is incredibly important.
It sets the label for their personality type, characteristics, and temperament. It also helps to set them apart from other kittens, and that’s what counts; it’s what makes them unique and individual.
Be sure to choose wisely from these cool cat names, and spend time observing your cat’s behavior to find that ideal name that just clicks.
Don’t worry about them not having a name straight away, it will be worth it when they finally have something that fits their personality.
Naming your pet is by far one of the most fun parts of becoming a pet owner. Take your time and relish it! With time, patience, and luck you’ll get that perfect cat name. Happy Naming! On your marks, get set… MEOW!
Do you have any more name suggestions? Or are any of these names a particular favorite? Leave us a comment and let us know.