Are you looking for paw-fect Chihuahua Names for your precious Chi?
Though they might be the smallest dog in the world (about 12.7cm high and weighing 1-6 lb), we know that their capacity to love is anything but small!
Whether your Chihuahua has a short and smooth coat, is a long-coated fluff ball, whether they are white, brown, black, tan, or a mixture of colors, we’ve got a name to suit them perfectly.
Since choosing a name to suit your Chihuahua can be tricky, we’ve compiled an extensive list of over 250 names suited for this breed to help you find the best one for your special furry friend!
Female Chihuahua Names
Chihuahuas might just be the most stylish dogs in the world.
From keeping trendy, with clothes to keep the little ones warm in winter, to being carried in the handbags of some of Hollywood’s hottest stars, these dogs are trendy and stylish.
A female Chihuahua needs an equally stylish name.
Whether she’s made for the limelight, cute, cuddly, or playful, here is a list of female Chihuahua names to go barking mad over!
- Chanel – after the luxurious brand
- Victoria – after Queen Victoria of England. Perfect for the most majestic pups!
- Rosie – since Chihuahuas have a history of being given as gifts
- Sharpay – For your diva, naming her after High School Musical’s Sharpay Evans!
- Audrey – for the most elegant of Chi, named after actress Audrey Hepburn
- Ruby- if your little Chihuahua is especially precious!
- Mariah – after singing sensation and diva icon, Mariah Carey
- Madonna – after the famous singer, who keeps three Chihuahuas herself!
- Beverly – after Disney’s Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie
- Zoey – name your pooch after a Chihuahua heroine!
- Ariana – Arizona’s state dog is the Chihuahua
- Tala – a Persian name meaning ‘Gold’
Male Chihuahua Names
Regardless of gender, Chihuahuas have accumulated a reputation for glamor, and so a name with a fancy air about it might work for your boy, why not try ‘Beau’ or ‘Ashton’?
By contrast, you might prefer a cute name like ‘Patch’ or ‘Ziggy’, or a snappy sharp one like ‘Kylo’ or ‘Rex’. Below you can find some names, especially for those bold, brave champs.
- Brandy – the name of the smallest Chihuahua/dog in the world
- Mickey – after Mickey Mouse!
- Sherlock – Why not name your Chi after the nations favorite detective?
- Simba- from The Lion King! For your pet who is a lion at heart
- Rex – this name is short and nippy, just like your Chihuahua!
Chihuahua Dog Names
Though Chihuahua’s are tiny, they can be nippy!
Studies have suggested that they are even more vicious than the feared Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Your new pet is not one to mess with, and this makes them excellent guard dogs, though their size would suggest otherwise.
If your new dog is no longer a puppy, this might affect your name choice.
Getting a Chihuahua dog, as opposed to a puppy, is a great idea in many ways, you can (hopefully) skip the hard work of puppy toilet training and get straight to walks, cuddles, and fun with your new family member!
If this is the case for you, then here are some great names for Chihuahua dogs.
- Hansel – if he’s got a sweet tooth!
- Veronica – or “Ronnie” for short
Chihuahua Puppy Names
If you are taking an adorable, tiny Chihuahua puppy home with you, lucky you! Puppies are hard work, but so worthwhile.
Most Chihuahuas are naturally reserved when it comes to meeting strangers; so remember that whilst training your puppy, socialization is so important!
Although these names will stay with the puppies for life, a name to match the youth or tiny size of your puppy could be a great choice, like ‘Pip’ for instance.
Naming a puppy (or a dog) should be very much dependent on the character and look of the individual canine, but it is so easy to become stuck for inspiration.
So, without further ado, here are some Chihuahua puppy names to help you brainstorm.
- Pip (or Pippin)
- Maisie – after the fictional Maisie Mouse
- Roly Mo
- Espresso – especially if their coloring matches a coffee shot
- Zuko – meaning “loved one” in Chinese
- Milo Leon – meaning “Lion”. The irony here is too cute!
Cute Chihuahua Names
Chihuahuas are undeniably cute.
With their tiny size, huge eyes, and huge hearts, who could resist pampering them?
Surely your Chihuahua deserves a name which is equally as adorable.
That is why the next category is ‘Cute Chihuahua Names’.
If your heart melts at the very sight of your dog, then these names below are definitely for you!
- Tinkerbell – after Paris Hilton’s pampered Chihuahua pup!
- Tiger – for the fiercest Chihuahuas
- Teddy – perfect if your Chihuahua is particularly cuddly!
- Dolly – named after the iconic Dolly Parton!
- Choo-choo – after Marilyn Monroe’s Chihuahua
- Jellybean- small and sweet, just like your dog!
Mexican Chihuahua Names
Choose a name that links your dog to their heritage, and they’ll feel right at home!
Chihuahuas originate from Mexico, and many were found in the State of Chihuahua, hence their name.
They are believed to have been descended from the Mexican breed of dogs, Techichis.
Mexican names have a wonderful rhythm and heart; names like ‘Ricardo’ or ‘Carlos’ are not only adorable for Chihuahuas, but they roll off the tongue (this is very handy when calling your dog’s name over and over in the park)!
Here are some Mexican names to suit your Mexican pup:
- Marguerita – or Margi for short
- Valentino – and they call it puppy love
- Bonita – ‘Bonnie’ for short
- Chico – a very popular choice, meaning small boy
- Estrella – meaning star
- Lalia – Lalia means “well spoken” or “talktative”
- Luz – meaning “light”
- Blanca – ideal for white Chihuahuas
- Mercedes – not just the car, the name means “merciful” or “compassionate”
- Paloma – or “dove”
- Alejandro – Chihuahuas are known to be territorial. This name means “guardian”
Best Chihuahua Names
So far we’ve seen that choosing your Chihuahua’s name can be narrowed down by looking at gendered names, by matching the dog’s cute appearance and demeanor to an equally cute name, to their age, or their Mexican heritage.
We hope you’re starting to see that the possibilities are endless.
It’s just up to you to decide which name suits your Chihuahua best! By now, you’re probably feeling overwhelmed with the hundreds of options.
Don’t worry, to assist, we’ve put together a list of our favorites to make up the last category; ‘Best Chihuahua Names’.
Whilst these may be our favorites, the best name for your dog is down to which one suits them, and your taste and judgment of course!
- Bruiser – after Elle Wood’s beloved furry friend in Legally Blonde
- Minnie – after Disney’s infamous Minnie Mouse
- T-Rex – perfect if your Chihuahua is not afraid to show their teeth!
- Pork chop
- Gidget – after the famous Taco Bell Chihuahua
- Toto – after Dorothy’s dog in The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Aqua – Chihuahua means ‘between two waters’
- Hermia – after Shakespeare’s feisty character from A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Midget – the first Chihuahua registered with the American Kennel Club
- Chi Chi
- Tiger Lily – a beautiful name for a beautiful breed
- Nala – more inspiration from the timeless classic, The Lion King
Choosing The Perfect Name for a Chihuahua
We are coming to the end of our guide to naming your Chihuahua, and we hope you are feeling inspired already!
Chihuahuas are excellent city dogs, not requiring too much heavy exercise and being happy to spend time in an apartment.
They are known to be very loyal, and whilst they might be picky eaters, they are not picky when it comes to loving their owners. They will love you unconditionally, provided you love them back.
Whichever name you choose, if you love it, we are sure that your dog will too. In choosing, taking into account the look of your particular dog is very important.
For example, if your dog is tan, you may like the names ‘Ginger’, or ‘Honey’. Or, if they show any character traits, why not highlight them? If your pup is a quick trotter, maybe a name like ‘Bolt’ would be ideal.
There you have it, our complete list of Chihuahua names for your wonderful new addition to the family.
Whether you are drawn to:
- Naming your dog after a big name, like ‘Bruiser’, ‘Mariah’ or ‘Madonna’ (to match their reputations for limelight and glamour)
- or a cute name like ‘Peanut’, ‘Pepper’ or ‘Tiger’,
- even names to match their Mexican heritage like ‘Benito’ or ‘Chico’,
- or simply a stunning name like ‘Tiger Lily’,
We hope you can find some inspiration from our names.
Regardless of the name you choose, we hope it serves you and your lovely dog very well.
Did any name catch your eye, or did we miss any of your favorites? Comment down below to let us know!