Have you been surfing the web all day trying to find a perfect fish name?
You won’t find a Betta fish name anywhere else!
If you have never picked a name for a pet before, and maybe feel like a fish out of water, then we’re here to help.
We have Betta fish names for a Betta fish of every color and type; from red to blue and crowntail to veiltail; we have you covered.
Names For Betta Fish
Betta fish are also known as Siamese Fighting Fish, although we doubt we’ll see any of these creatures in a boxing ring anytime soon!
They are popular for their varied and bright colors, so whichever shade of the rainbow is your favorite, there will probably be a Betta fish out there for you.
Take a look below at this list of Betta fish names:
- Aquarius – a Zodiac sign belonging to people born between January 21 and February 20, with its symbol being a water-bearer
- Atlantis – a fictional island apparently situated in the Atlantic Ocean, however its supposed location has changed over time
- Reef – the Great Barrier Reef is located in Australia and is the largest coral reef system in the world
- Tropic – this often refers to a place incredibly hot and sunny
- Goldie – perfect if you have a gold Betta fish!
- Fin – a Scottish boy’s name, short for Finley, which means ‘fair warrior’, but also relates to the fins of a fish
- Nemo – a famous Disney Pixar film featuring a worried clownfish father trying to find his son
- Clam – the better-known name for ‘bivalve molluscs’. We’ll probably just stick with ‘clam’
- Flash – for a Betta fish that can swim really fast!
- Neptune – the Roman god of freshwater
- Seaweed – an algae that lives in the sea, but also can be food for some types of sea creatures
- Bruce – the shark in Finding Nemo, hopefully your Betta fish will never have to meet a great white shark!
- Ace – a perfect name for a black pet
- Cleo – a shortened version of Cleopatra
- Otto – a German name meaning ‘wealth’ and ‘prosperity’
- Lenny – one of the main characters in the movie Shark Tale. Despite being a shark, he is actually a vegetarian!
- Spike – a type of fish that has spikes on its body, so don’t get too close!
- Bubba – the name of the fish who was apparently the first ever fish to go through chemotherapy
- Drake – the name for a male duck, another water-dwelling animal
- Casper – like the friendly ghost, this name would be perfect for a white Betta fish
- Algae – a microorganism that lives in water
- Aqua – the Latin word for ‘water’
- Marina – a harbour for small boats, but also a beautiful name for a female fish
- Loki – the god of mischief in Norse mythology
- Shrimp – along with prawns, shrimp is a type of seafood that is eaten worldwide
- Shadow – alternatively, this is great for a dark, black Betta fish
- Shelly – does your Betta fish sell seashells by the sea shore?!
- Charlie – a cute unisex name for any fish
- Patrick – a hilarious name based on the pink sea star in the TV show SpongeBob SquarePants
- Marlin – a type of fish with a long body
- Gunther – a German baby name meaning ‘warrior’
Funny Betta Fish Names
Fish can be funny creatures.
We can often make ourselves laugh by imitating the way they open and close their mouths – it’s even funnier if a human does it!
If you have a pair of fish, then why not give them funny, complementary names?
How about naming your fishies after an infamous duo such as Bonnie and Clyde – something as well-known and simple as Jack and Jill; or even something as wacky as Fish and Chips?
The possibilities are endless!
If you’re looking for a single funny Betta fish, however, then look no further than the list below:
- Mrs Puff – the often mean boating school teacher from the SpongeBob SquarePants series
- Tuna Turner – a pun on the name Tina Turner, a famous singer-songwriter
- Kipper – another edible fish that is sometimes eaten for breakfast
- Sharkira – this shark’s ‘hips don’t lie’, and they’re saying they might eat you…!
- Plankton – the antagonist in the SpongeBob SquarePants series, named after a large group of microorganisms
- Anette – get it… a net!
- Squidward – the grumpy next door neighbor of SpongeBob in the TV series SpongeBob SquarePants
- Fingers – fish only have fins, but somehow humans eat ‘fish fingers’ all the time
- Gillfunkel – from the famous singers of ‘A Bridge Over Troubled Water’ – Salmon and Gillfunkel!
- Turtle – another water dwelling animal, but perhaps ten times slower than any fish
- Phelps – Michael Phelps is possibly the most famous Olympic swimmer ever
- Jaws – one of the most famous Steven Spielberg movies, you really wouldn’t want to go to the beach if Jaws was on the loose!
- Coral – a pretty Betta fish name for a pink Betta, also the name of an underwater rock that is essentially made of skeletal remains of small sea animals! Not so pretty now…
- Wasabi – a Japanese spice that is often used in sushi
- Flipper – the ‘arms’ of animals such as penguins and seals that helps them to swim
- Aquaman – a fictional character from DC comics, who starred in a 2018 movie of the same title
- Swim Shady – a pun on Eminem’s alter ego, Slim Shady
- Submarine – an airplane may offer a bird’s eye view, but a submarine offers a fish eye view!
- Kraken – a fictional sea monster, and definitely not something you would want to see aboard a cruise ship
- Pike – a well-known predator fish that can speed after its prey as soon as it glimpses it
- Bait – just hope nobody uses your Betta fish as bait!
- Salty – even though Bettas are freshwater fish, you can still name them Salty!
- Anne Chovy – often packed together in tins and used as an ingredient in certain foods
- Magikarp – our favorite fish-like Pokémon!
- Tartar – a condiment that perfectly accompanies a fish dish
- Scampi – another type of seafood, but also the name of a naughty and rambunctious fish!
Blue Betta Fish
Need a name for a beautiful, vibrant blue Betta?
Then look no further!
We have a multitude of colorful names, from light to dark, along with several blue fictional characters.
Any of these names make the perfect Betta Fish Names for a blue Betta.
- Dory – the hilarious blue tang fish from Finding Nemo and is voiced by Ellen DeGeneres, she is so funny that she even got her own movie – Finding Dory!
- Azure – another light shade of blue that can often be compared to the color of the sky
- Aquamarine – a bright color that ranges from tones of blue and green, and everything in-between!
- Smurf – a fictional community of little blue people that live in the forest
- Da Ba Dee – a song by Eiffel 65 “about a little guy that lives in a blue world!”
- Sully – our favorite blue furry monster from Disney Pixar’s Monsters Inc
- Cerulean – another shade of blue, perfect for any blue Betta fish
- Navy – a dark shade of blue
- Turquoise – turquoise is a shade of blue with a tinge of green, and could possibly be described as the color of the ocean
- Periwinkle – this is a beautiful light blue shade that has a tinge of lilac. You could even use the name ‘Peri’ for short!
- Jean – a pretty girl’s name that refers to the blue of denim jeans
- Sapphire – a deep blue gemstone
- Midnight – perfect for a Betta fish that is a deep, dark shade of blue
- Sea – a very obvious name for any blue Betta fish!
- Stitch – a zany blue character from Disney’s Lilo and Stitch
- Denim – a material most often used to make jeans, and is usually a mid-tone shade of blue
- Pisces – a zodiac sign with the symbol of a fish. It also happens to be a water sign
- Lagoona – a perfect name for a female blue Betta fish, and a version of Lagoon, which is a small and shallow section of water detached from a larger body of water
- Ocean – what is a better name for a fish than ‘Ocean’?!
- Royal – a very vivid shade of blue and perfect for any majestic pet
- Blueberry – not only are blueberries a beautiful blue shade, they’re also extremely healthy and delicious!
- Eeyore – a character from the Winnie the Pooh books, who is a shade of blue-gray and is often quite sad and gloomy
- River – the name River is perfect for any fish because of its association with water. However, River is also a name used by humans, for example the famous actor River Phoenix
- Teal – another shade of blue-green, and is also the name of a duck
Red Betta Fish Names
We have a fiery array of vibrant red Betta names for any fish in your tank.
From the bright orange hair of both Ariel and Ed Sheeran to various, beautiful shades of red, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
There is no end to the amount of special, unique, and individual names for a red fish. These names would also work for other red under-the-sea creatures, a crab or a lobster could be named ‘Ruby’ any day!
Our favorite is Strawberry, a juicy, fruit-inspired Betta fish name for any red fish in your tank.
- Wanda – from the 1988 British comedy ‘A Fish Called Wanda’, about a heist, and only slightly about a fish
- Ariel – this mermaid from Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’ has fiery red hair and also lives under the sea!
- Rouge – ‘red’ in French, and also the name used sometimes to describe the makeup product blush
- Brick – a unique name for any fish of a muted red shade
- Ed – the famous ‘Shape of You’ singer is also a red-head!
- Blaze – perfect for a fiery red Betta fish
- Scarlett – a vibrant red shade and also a perfect name
- Vermilion – an incredibly vibrant shade, in-between red and scarlet
- Crimson – the shade between red and purple
- Mars – a dusty red planet in our Solar System, next to Earth
- Wine – name a fancy and sophisticated fish after red wine
- Burgundy – not only the name of a deep red-purple color, but also a region of France
- Poppy – the name of a bright red flower; it is the symbol of Remembrance Day on November 11 of every year
- Apple – in the debate between the tastiness of red and green apples, red should always win!
- Garnet – a precious stone that is a deep red shade
- Auburn – a luscious shade of red-brown hair
- Ginger – the name for red to orange hair
- Flame – another fiery and fantastic name
- Ruby – a beautiful, sparkling red gemstone, perfect for a precious red fish
- Rosso – ‘red’ in Italian
- Chilli – red chili peppers are associated with being incredibly hot and spicy!
- Rose – a delicate flowery name; rose describes a shade between red and magenta
- Fire – is there a better name for a red fish than fire?!
- Cherry – a pretty color that has tones of red, pink and purple
Unique Betta Fish Names
If you are looking for a unique Betta fish name, then you’ve come to the right plaice…
We see all of these unique names as very fitting names for any pet fish, not just a Betta!
Regardless, these unique fish names are beautiful and will never become tired or forgettable, even for a fish with a three-second memory.
These interesting monikers range in their uncommonness, however, one thing they do have in common is that they all have a meaning that is related to water in some way.
We hope you enjoy them!
- Anahita – a girl’s Persian name meaning ‘water or river goddess’
- Cordelia – a beautiful name meaning ‘daughter of the sea’
- Jorah – meaning ‘autumn rain’
- Arno – a name which means ‘flower water’
- Shannon – an Irish name meaning ‘old, wise river’
- Morwenna – meaning ‘waves of the sea’
- Marella – this is the Japanese version of Muriel and means ‘bright sea’
- Lachlan – meaning ‘from the land of lakes’
- Fjord – a Norwegian name referring to the passage in the sea
- Aberforth – meaning ‘from the river’
- Yarrow – meaning ‘rough stream’
- Nerida – a Greek name meaning ‘mermaid’
- Calder – a traditional English name meaning ‘rocky water’
- Mizuko – a name meaning ‘water child’
- Como – an Italian name meaning lake
- Thames – from the River Thames in London
- Tallulah – meaning ‘leaping waters’
- Noelani – meaning ‘mist of heaven’
- Mira – a name that means ‘sea’ or ‘ocean’ in Sanskrit
- Meltem – a fun Betta fish name meaning ‘sea wind’
- Flounder – the cute best friend of Ariel in Disney’s The Little Mermaid
- Octo – from ‘Octopus’, but obviously your Betta fish doesn’t have eight legs!
- Pirate – for a mischievous Betta fish that just wants to steal some treasure
- Guppy – a popular small, and cute, tropical fish
- Isla – a fun girl’s name that stems from the word ‘island’
- Sushi – a Japanese dish that often contains raw fish
- Gilbert – Gill-bert… get it?! The best name for any fish!
- Peach – a cute name for a light pink Betta fish
- Gilly – a cute little name for any fish
- Bubbles – the name of the zany and energetic yellow fish from Disney’s Finding Nemo
- Mermaid – your Betta fish isn’t a mermaid, but they’re halfway there!
- Tangerine – perfect for a golden-orange Betta fish
- Captain – put a little ship in your fish’s tank and they can be the captain!
- Caviar – it is considered a delicacy in places, but it is basically fish eggs…
- Crabby – for a fish that’s grumpy all the time!
- Kanagawa – the famous wave painting, known by almost everyone, is called The Great Wave Of Kanagawa and was painted by Katsushika Hokusai
- Marigold – perfect for a yellow-gold Betta fish
- Poseidon – the Greek God of the sea and, is well-known for being quite moody and ill-tempered. He’s definitely not someone you want to get on the wrong side of!
- Nymph – a mythological creature that lives in secluded places, from rivers to woods and forests
- Ursula – the villain from the Disney movie ‘The Little Mermaid’, who tries to take Ariel’s voice in exchange for a pair of human legs
- Dolphin – they are apparently the best friends of mermaids, and whilst mermaids aren’t real (as far as we know) dolphins certainly are!
- Blackbeard – a deadly and dangerous pirate
Hopefully we reeled you in with this list.
Maybe you even found the perfect name for your Betta fish?
Let us know, in the comments area, which of these Betta Fish Names was your favorite and even tell us any more you may have thought of.
If this list has inspired you to possibly get a Betta fish of your own, then we say ‘CARPe Diem’!