So, you want to adopt an orange cat?
No matter what type of Tabby cat you get, we are here to help you find the perfect orange cat name for your new bright pet.
There are all kinds of names for orange cats, whether you are looking for something that reflects their color, or their personality.
This article contains over 250 different names, so you will definitely find the naming inspiration you need, and your new cat will have the perfect name.
Orange Tabby Cat Names
All orange cats are tabbies, but not all tabbies are orange cats!
This section is dedicated to ideal names for orange tabby cats, meaning they are orange with distinctive white strips.
So if you are trying to name your orange tabby, here are some purr-fect orange cat names:
One of our personal favorites, this is the name of Hermione Granger’s orange cat in Harry Potter
- Abby (the Tabby) – A cute rhyme reflecting your cat’s coat
- Attabiy – after the silk made in the Attabiy district in Baghdad
- Cheshire – pay homage to ‘Alice in Wonderland’ while naming your cat
- Cream Puff
- Earl Grey
- K. Meowling – perfect for an orange cat since the author is ginger
- Miss Kitty
- Motor Mouth – if your orange cat is particularly chatty
- Pumpkin Pie
- Raya – Raya means ‘stripes’ in Spanish
- Santa Claws – If your little orange kitten loves to scratch
- Sponge Bob
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Winston Churchill
Orange Cat Names (Boy)
In finding the perfect orange male cat name, inspiration can be found absolutely everywhere.
Whether you want something that has ‘king of the jungle’ vibes or something that reflects your new male orange cat’s talkative and cuddly nature, this list has it all!
Let’s have a look:
a Celtic word that means “son of the red-haired man”
- Antares – the red star in the Scorpio constellation
- Archie – after the protagonist of the popular Netflix series ‘Riverdale’
- Chuck Norris
- Fred Weasley
- George Weasley
- Jupiter – Why not name your orange male cat after a powerful Roman God and planet?
- Mad Hatter
- OB – An acronym for ‘Orange Boy’
- Prince Harry
- Rojo – Rojo is Spanish for ‘red’
- Ron Weasley
- Rory – A Gaelic word meaning “the Red King”
- Tony the Tiger
- Vincent (van Gogh)
Orange Girl Cat Names
For your new orange female kitten, you might want something a little bit more girly, or descriptive, or you might want to use her name to pay homage to a favorite TV series, character, or actress.
The following list will suit all kinds of preferences:
The fizzy orange beverage would be a cute name for a cat
- Anne – after Anne of Green Gables the beloved (ginger) protagonist
- Cat Middleton – this cute pun will tie you cat with Kate Middleton forever
- Fancy Nancy – from the ‘Fancy Nancy’ children’s book series
- Fiona – The ogre princess in Shrek also has shocking red hair
- Ginger Spice
- Ginny Weasley
- Kim Possible
- Pippi Longstocking
- Sansa (Stark) – naming your cat Sansa would certainly make her stand out
Unique Orange Cat Names
But maybe you are not bothered about having a gender-specific name for your orange cat, or perhaps everything so far has seemed a little ordinary and you want something special?
Taking inspiration from anything from food to flowers, this next list has some fun and unique orange Cat names:
Spend a lot of time online? Why not name your kitten after this web browser
- Alani – The name of an orange Hawaiian tree
- Carrot Top
- Catchup – An adorable pun on the word ‘ketchup’
- Honey Bear
- Marmalade – one of our favorites, who doesn’t love marmalade?
- OJ – orange juice anyone
- Pumpkin Head
- Sweet Potato
Black and Orange Cat Names
Black and orange tortoiseshell cats deserve a name as unique as they look.
And while tortoiseshell cats might almost always be female, this list focusses on finding a fierce name reflective of their fierce, leopard-reminiscent looks.
a popular design for gold chains manufactured in Italy
- Garfield – Everyone appreciates the Garfield comics
- Jack O Lantern
- Kit Kat
- Nemo – Big Disney fan?
Names for an Orange Cat
Finally, just in case you are still getting to know your lovely new orange kitten, here is a list of orange cat names that are both unique and cute.
One of our favorite from this list happens to be Goldie. For boy or girl, for tabby or tortoiseshell, it is a flexible name that would suit any orange cat!
Naming your orange cat after a type of orange is cute and simple
- Autumn – Everyone associates oranges and reds with fall leaves
- Gouda – Name your cat for your favorite cheese
- Loki – Little Orange Kitty
- Oscar – Why not name your cat after the gold color of the Academy Awards?
Did You Know: 5 Facts About Orange Cats
Since you have chosen to adopt or buy an orange cat, it might be worth learning a few fun facts about them before you name them.
1. There Is A Ginger Cat Appreciation Day (September 1st)
September 1st! Keep it in your diary.
2. All Orange Cats Are Tabbies
We already mentioned that while not all tabby cats are orange, all orange cats are tabbies.
However, tabby is not a breed, it is actually the stripy coat pattern.
There are five types of coat patterns a tabby might have:
While on the topic of cat’s coat color, a cat’s personality is linked to its color, and orange cats are the most talkative (they purr and meow the most).
3. Cats Are Orange Because of Pigment
The orange color on a cat’s coat comes from a specific pigment pheomelanin.
This is the same pigment that makes people ginger.
You also might be interested to know that while tortoiseshell cats (orange and black) are mostly female, tabby cats (orange and white) are predominantly male.
Around 80% of orange cats are male, and nobody knows why.
4. Orange Cats Are Legendary
Finally, there is a legend that orange tabbies have an ‘M’ mark on their foreheads because one cuddled baby Jesus, helping him sleep, and so all orange cats were blessed by the Virgin Mary.
Today, we know that distinctive ‘M’ is simply a useful part of an orange tabby’s camouflage, but, that does not make the legend any less intriguing.
Orange cats are beautiful, they are unique and talkative while also majestic and strong.
Every single one deserves the perfect orange cat name, whether that reflects their personality, their color, or it’s based on a hilarious pun. The decision might be difficult, but it will be worth it.
This article contains hundreds of orange cat names, so orange you glad you clicked on it to help you on your orange cat name search?!
Don’t forget to leave a comment below – tell us your favorite name from this list, or what you chose to name your orange cat.