No matter if your Stallion is a successful racehorse, or just likes to trot around eating hay and carrots, we have perfect Male Horse Names for him.
In this list of over 200 names for male horses, you will find a perfect moniker for any colt, stud, gelding or stallion you come across.
Estimates suggest that there are aroung 60 million horses in the world, so hopefully we’ve found some titles for a few of them!
We have galloped, canted and trotted to the end of each racecourse to find a stable-full of brilliant horse names that will never tire.
Get ready and place your bets on which of these names will be your favorite…
Male Horse Names
Scientists believe that the oldest known relative of the horse is an animal called an ‘Eohippus’ which lived approximately 50 million years ago.
Stallions are majestic creatures and they deserve timeless horse names which will last almost as long as they have been around.
There are more than 300 horse breeds in the world and, hopefully, we have a name that might fit every last one of them!
why not name your Stallion after a strong apple-flavoured alcoholic drink
- Aerosmith – an American rock band formed in Boston, Massachusetts
- Alejandro – a Greek word meaning defender or helper of mankind
- Atlanta – the capital and most populous city of US state of Georgia
- Aztec – a culture that flourished in Mexico from 1300 to 1521
- Bad News – because Bad News travels fast!
- Bandit – a robber or outlaw typically in a lawless area
- Beowulf – one of the most important old English epic poems
- Bounty – a sum paid for killing or capturing a criminal
- Brutus – the leading person in the assassination of Julius Caesar
- Clyde – Bonnie and Clyde were famous American criminals
- Frankel – British thoroughbred racehorse who was unbeaten in his career
- Mister Ed – a talking horse from an American television sitcom
- Sea Biscuit – the top money winning racehorse from the 1940s
- Secretariat – the first American Thoroughbred racehorse to win the Triple Crown
Unique Male Horse Names
Stallions are amazing creatures; each one seems to be so unique and develops its own personality.
Male horses are often gentle towards humans, but they also take care of each other – in a group of horses, at least one will stay awake while the others sleep to look out for any danger!
If only humans could always be that kind to each other…
Check out some of these fantastic male horse names below:
a hard, dark glasslike volcanic rock formed by lava solidifying making a perfect black colt name.
- Callen – Gaelic meaning powerful in battle
- Constantine – meaning constant and steadfast in Latin
- Eoghan – a Gaelic title for born of yew tree; youth
- Jamshid – Muslim name meaning sun’s rays and light
- Karim – an Arabic name meaning generous or noble
- Ludovic – derives from the French word ‘Louis’, meaning illustrious fighter
- Oskar – German for ‘Oscar’, meaning champion warrior
- Stanislav – a very old given name of Slavic origin
- Vilhelm – Swedish moniker meaning determined protector
- Zakaria – an Arabic title meaning God has remembered
Strong Male Horse Names
Horses have been domesticated for over 5000 years, which means we have had a long time to think of some great colt and horse names for them.
The fastest horse recorded was going at 55 mph, so clearly, they are very strong and powerful animals.
Colts can walk and even run a few hours after being born – is there anything these creatures cannot do!
A Horse’s teeth take up more space in their head than their brain, so whilst they can eat lots of hay at once, they may not be the smartest creatures around.
However, we have done the thinking for them and you by coming up with this list of strong male horse names for any colt or stallion alike.
a man who served his sovereign or lord in armour in the Middle Ages
- Cadillac – American car manufacturer that designs and builds luxury vehicles
- Chivalry – medieval knightly system of moral and social code
- Eagle – a large bird of prey
- Eldorado – the term used by the Spanish Empire to describe a myth
- Elusive – meaning difficult to find, catch or achieve
- Enigma – something mysterious and difficult to understand
- Excalibur – legendary sword of King Arthur
- Glory – high renown or honour won by notable achievements
- Gold Dust
- Guinness – a dark Irish dry stout
- Hall & Oates – a pun on the American pop rock duo
- Hercules – Roman hero and god famous for his strength and adventures
- Hot to Trot – meaning ready and eager to go
- Indiana – a US state in the Midwestern region
- Kentucky – a state located in the east south-central region
- Kryptonite – fictional material that appears in Superman stories
- Lancelot – one of the Knights of the Round Table
- Mercury – the smallest and innermost planet in the Solar System
- Nelson – after Horatio Nelson from the Battle of Trafalgar
- Neptune – the eighth and farthest planet from the Sun
- Nevada – a state in the Western United States
- Odysseus – legendary hero of Homer’s epic ‘The Odyssey’
- Shamrock – the national emblem of Ireland
Cool Male Horse Names
Did you know horses can sleep both standing up and lying down?!
That is a cool trick we wish we could do, maybe when you have to stand up on the train, bus or subway – although you’d have to be careful not to miss your stop!
Horses also are capable of nearly seeing 360 degrees at one time because their eyes are placed at the side of their head (in fact, they have the largest eyes of any land mammal).
They can do so many cool things that humans couldn’t even imagine, so they definitely deserve a cool name.
Although, there are some ways we are alike, horse hooves are made of the same protein that makes human hair and fingernails!
A superb name for a male horse! Quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction in physics
- Bullseye – the center of the target in sports
- Colorado – a state of the Western United States
- Duke – a member of royalty or nobility
- Lincoln – after Abraham Lincoln who served as the 16th president
- Paladin – meaning warrior in French
- Pandemonium – the capital of Hell in John Milton’s Paradise Lost
- Pharaoh – the monarchs of Ancient Egypt
- Phoenix – a long-lived bird in Greek mythology that regenerates
- Ringmaster – the person who directs a circus performance
- Sahara – the largest hot desert in the world
- Sheriff – a government official with varying duties
- Texas – the second largest state in the United States
- Thor – God of Thunder in Norse mythology
- Titan – the largest moon of Saturn
- Washington – Washington D.C. is the capital of the United States
White Male Horse Names
Did you know, the first cloned horse was a Haflinger mare in Italy in 2003.
You definitely need to give your horse a great name if there’s the possibility of cloning, and another horse being called that.
We’re only joking, and it’s unlikely that your horse will ever be cloned, however we weren’t joking about the importance of a good name!
One horse breed that is likely to always be white, or black and white, is a ‘zebroid’, which is a zebra and a donkey bred together.
Zebras can also mate with donkeys and make ‘zonkeys’.
Whilst these may sound like fictional species from a sci-fi movie, here is a list of names for any white stallion!
the highest and most extensive mountain range that lies entirely in Europe
- Alaska – the largest state in the United States
- Aspen – Aspen Mountain is a ski area in the western United States
- Avalanche – perfect for a white horse
- Bacardi – originally known for the Bacardi white rum
- Buzz – a famous character from the Toy Story series
- Cinder – a rock similar to pumice that can float on water
- Icicle – a spike of ice formed when dripping water freezes
- Snow Storm
- Steed – a horse used or trained for riding
- Twilight – the period just before it becomes completely dark
- Verona – a city on the Adige river in Veneto, Italy
- Wrangler – a person in charge of horses or other livestock
- Yankee – meaning an inhabitant of New England
Male Horse Names and Meanings
Horses use their eyes, ears and nostrils to express their mood.
Hopefully, when naming your horse, you will see a happy expression from them rather than a disapproving one!
Horses even ‘speak’ to one another through whinnying and neighing sounds!
The US horse industry has an economic effect of around $40 billion annually, so it’s very important to give your gelding a good name with a significant meaning.
|Abelard||a small Colt from the ‘Ranger’s Apprentice’ series|
|Acorn||from the ‘Chaos Walking’ trilogy|
|Alfonso||from the ‘Pippi Longstocking’ series|
|Artax||from ‘The Neverending Story’|
|Azul||a blue Stallion from ‘The Alchemical Horseman’|
|Blackjack||from the ‘Percy Jackson’ series|
|Boxer||from ‘Animal Farm’|
|Capilet||from ‘Twelfth Night’|
|Florian||from ‘Florian, the Emperor’s Horse’|
|Flame||from ‘The Black Stallion’ series|
|Fru-Fru||from ‘Anna Karenina’|
|Gunpowder||from ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’|
|Joey||from ‘War Horse’|
|Merrylegs||from ‘Black Beauty’|
|Pylon||from the ‘Dark Tower’ series|
|Red Hare||from ‘Romance of the Three Kingdoms’|
|Sunstorm||from ‘Ashleigh’s Hope’|
|Arod||Legolas’ Stud from ‘The Lord of the Rings’|
You never know, these male horse names may come in handy for the next race you go to – the winner could be right here amongst all these title.
If you know someone else who is a horse enthusiast like us, then be sure to send this list of titles to them.
Don’t forget to leave us a comment telling us your favorite choice from and any others we might have missed!