With over 425 horse names to choose from, it’s time to saddle up and find the perfect name for your Stallion, Mare, Racehorse, or Pony.
Their beauty, strength, agility, and compassion set horses apart from all other mammals.
We believe these amazing animals deserve an amazing name to match.
Whether you are looking for a feminine name to suit your Mare, a funny name to suit an energetic Pony, or a cute name to suit a newborn Foal, we’ve got loads of choices to suit your horse.
From an American Saddlebred to a Swedish Warmblood, we’ve compiled over 425 names for many breeds, so enjoy finding the perfect one for your magnificent mount.
Good Horse Names
A good name perfectly reflects the nature of your individual horse.
Are they large and strong, and therefore suited to a name like ‘Challenger’ or ‘Chief’? Are they sharp and intelligent? If so, a name like ‘Newton’, or ‘Mozart’ would be great!
If you’re looking for a Horse name for a beautiful, regal horse, something like ‘Mona’ would be ideal.
Consider their height, color, age and temperament – all of these attributes will help to inform your decision.
Our Favorite Name
A reference to the ancient Egyptian kings, therefore the perfect name for a regal stallion, perhaps for an exotic breed such as an Arabian or Gypsy horse
- Beauty – a simple, elegant name for a stunning horse
- Bolt – perfect for a speedy horse with strong legs!
- Da Vinci
- Honey – a fitting name for a honey-colored horse, such as a Caspian Horse
- Juliet – pair this horse with another names Romeo for a romantic duo
- Little Joe
- Major – perfect for a horse who likes to take charge
- Olaf – perfect for a happy-go-lucky white horse.
- Sweet pea
- Victory – if your horse is great at competitions, this is the name for them!
Female Horse Names
A female horse, or mare or filly, is a magnificent creature and deserves a magnificent name to match.
Whether they are soft and gentle, or fierce and strong, each female horse is different and unique, so we’ve gathered plenty of names for you to choose the perfect one.
Our Favorite Name
Goddess of Wisdom. This is a fitting name for a bright, intelligent mare who is even wiser than she is beautiful
Check out the list below to find more beautiful names for your mare:
- Amethyst – a precious stone, a suitable name for precious horse
- Ash – perfect name for a jet-black animal
- Autumn – a lovely name for an orange-colored mare
- Duchess – perfectly suited to a strong-willed horse who enjoys taking control
- Flame – perfect for a fierce mare!
- Nevaeh – ‘Heaven’ spelled backwards
- Pip – a short, cute name for a short, cute mare!
- Shimmer – for a horse with a beautiful white mane
Male Horse Names
Stallions are renowned for their strength, magnificence and speed so we’ve put together a list of our favorite male horse names to complement their amazing traits.
Names like ‘Czar’ and ‘Thor’ are perfect for a powerful stallion, whilst names such as ‘Charming’ and ‘Bobby’ would suit a loveable, playful horse.
Our Favorite Name
Named after the famous pirate, this would be a great name for a dark Karbardian
- Black Beard
- General – representing the strength and power of stallions
- Peter Pan
- Sunny Jim
- Wally – a light-hearted name for a playful horse
- Zeus – Olympian God of the sky and thunder
Famous Horse Names
Taking inspiration from films, novels, TV shows, and famous racehorses can provide you with many options when naming your horse.
Horses are often found in films and novels, playing the role of the reliable side-kick, or the brave war-horse, so explore our suggestions below and see if you recognize any.
Our Favorite Name
The largest horse in history, measuring a HUGE 19.2 hands (that’s 1.98M for non-horse folk) and weighs 3,200 lb (that’s 1,451 kg)
- Black Jack – from the ‘Percy Jackson’ series written by Rick Riordan
- Blue Boy
- Boxer, Mollie and Clover – from George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’
- Burmese – Queen Elizabeth II’s favorite horse
- Dawn Run
- Eclipse – famous 18th-century racehorse
- Exterminator – renowned ‘iron horse’ of American racing history
- Fru-Fru – featured in Leo Tolstoy’s ‘Anna Karenina’
- Incitatus – favorite horse of Emperor Caligula
- Llamrei – famous horse of King Arthur
- My Little Pony
- Nelson – primary mount during the American Revolutionary War
- Peach Blossom
- Pied Piper
- Popcorn Deelites
- The Phantom
Funny Horse Names
Funny names are ideal for a playful pony whose cheeky personality makes you laugh.
Naming your horse after items of food, such as chocolate bar, or thinking up horse puns is fun and can create a hilarious, unique name for a horse with a quirky owner!
Our Favorite Name
A pun on the Star Wars heroine ‘Princess Leia’
Zesty is also a perfect name for a cheeky, feisty pony. Here are some more of our favorites:
- Al Capony
- Archbishop of Canterbury
- Britney Spurs
- Buck Buck Goose
- Canter Claus
- Cha Cha
- Dappleganger – perfect for a dappled horse!
- Dizzy – a fun name that will suit a clumsy yet loveable horse
- Harry Trotter
- Hay Jude
- Horse of Nature
- Horsey McHorseface
- Inspector Horse – a pun on ‘Inspector Morse’, the fictional detective
- James Blonde
- Jelly Bean
- Jonathan Trott
- Judd Jump – a pun on the English professional snooker player Judd Trump
- Macapony Cheese
- Mad Max
- Mascapony – the perfect cheese to hide a horse in!
- Pippi Longstocking – perfect for an auburn horse with a long mane
- Princess Neigher
- Purple Rein
- Rogue One
- Royal Air Horse
- Sir Trottalot
- Stud Muffin
- Sugar n’ Spice
- Top Jumps
Cool Horse Names
If your horse is the most laid-back in the stable, they need a cool name to match their chilled-out temperament.
Names like ‘Breeze’, ‘Celeste’, and ‘Serene’ are all unique names to make your horse stand out from the crowd.
Taking inspiration from star signs, other languages and elements of nature are great ways to find a cool name for your horse.
- Black Beauty
- Blue Moon
- Bold Beauty
- Celeste – meaning ‘heavenly’ in French
- Eager Star
- Esprit – meaning ‘spirit’ in French
- Flaming Glory
- Sea Star
Foals are some of the cutest animals, therefore they deserve a cute name to match.
When naming your foal, consider their personality and looks – if they’re soft-natured with a light-colored mane, a name like ‘Rose’ or ‘Sandy’ would suit them perfectly.
If they’re feisty with a darker mane, a name like ‘Thunder’ or ‘Fire’ would be a great match.
- Cutie Pie
- Dawn – ‘Dusk’ and ‘Dawn’ would be lovely names for a duo of foals
- Edora – perfectly suited to a beautiful Arab Horse
- Frenchie – a cute name for a cute foal!
- Midnight – for a dark, beautiful foal
- Rainbow – perfect for a foal with a colorful personality!
Choosing The Perfect Name For Your Horse
If you haven’t quite found the perfect horse name after reading our ideas, here are some tips to find the perfect name to suit your horse.
Firstly, consider shorter names over long names, as this will make it easier when you call their name, rather than creating a tongue-twister.
Get to know your horse before making a decision, as their personality will play an important role in the naming process, so do some research online.
Don’t rush into the decision, as it’s great if the name you choose really suits your horse.
Consider their breed – if they’re an exotic or foreign breed then an exotic name, such as ‘Inca’, would be a great match.
Knowing the height, speed, and color of your horse is also vital in the naming process.
There are loads of great names out there relating to size and looks, such as ‘Bolt’ and ‘Chestnut’, so consider what your horse looks like as well as its personality.
And finally, enjoy naming your horse – have fun choosing the name, thinking up different ideas, and getting to know them.
Found a Name Yet?!
We hope you’ve found our advice and suggestions of female and male horse names helpful for naming your horse.
We believe that horses are incredible animals, and so their names are very important in expressing their attributes and abilities.
If you think we’ve missed out on some great names please let us know in the comments section below – we’d love to hear them.
Enjoy naming and caring for your beautiful horse, we hope you find the perfect name.