Although most pet dogs can appear to be docile and domesticated… they all have a hidden badass side!
All dogs have the potential to be badass, from tiny Chihuahuas to large Great Danes; choosing from our badass dog names is the first step in discovering any dog’s badass nature.
Finding the perfect tenacious name for your badass dog might seem like a daunting task.
However, there are loads of ways to create a tough name that suits your powerful pet down to the ground.
Naming your dog after another badass animal, such as ‘Rhino’ or ‘Tiger’ is a great way to showcase their power.
We have compiled a list of brilliant names to suit all badass breeds of dogs, so enjoy exploring them below.
Top 10 Badass Dog Names
Sometimes the names of mythical creatures and figures from mythology also make badass dog names which also reflect the strength of your dog.
Researching famous warriors and monarchs can also provide some fantastic inspiration, as these are some of the most Badass figures throughout history.
Let’s start with our top 10 favorite Badass Names for dogs.
- Beast – beasts come in all shapes and sizes, but are often strong and powerful creatures like your Badass Dog
- Blade – after the superhero, famous for his immunity to the bites and hypnosis of vampires
- Bullet – a powerful name for a dog who can sprint at the speed of a bullet!
- Crusher – this name denotes strength and power
- Fang – the name of Hagrid’s dog in the ‘Harry Potter’ franchise
- Gunner – meaning ‘battle strong’
- Hurricane – a type of storm, a great name for a wild and fearless dog
- Jedi – after the militaristic, academic and meritocratic organization from the ‘Star Wars’ franchise
- Puma – meaning ‘mountain lion’
- Zeus – Olympian god of the sky and thunder, and the king of all other gods and men
List Of Badass Dog Names
- Acadia – a colony of New France in north-eastern North America
- Aella – after the Amazon warrior who wielded a double-edged sword in Greek mythology, meaning ‘whirlwind’
- Aiden – an Irish name meaning ‘little and fiery’, this is perfect for a small pup with a strong personality
- Alaska – a U.S. state in the North of the West Coast
- Ammo – short for ‘ammunition’, the material fired from any weapon
- Andromeda – from the Greek name meaning ‘ruler of men’
- Artemis – the Greek Goddess of the moon, a powerful celestial object that controls the tides
- Astra – derived from the Greek ‘Astron’ meaning ‘star’
- Bey – after ‘Beyoncé’, the Badass queen of pop, hip-hop and R&B
- Blaise (Blaze) – a fiery name for a puppy who is out of control!
- Bolt – the name of the canine superstar from the film ‘Bolt’ who has many adventures; the perfect name for a badass dog who runs fast and has many skills
- Bond – the surname of ‘James Bond’, the spy who could tackle all kind of terrifying adventures
- Boudicca – after the Queen of the Celtic Iceni tribe
- Bruiser – meaning someone who is tough, strong and aggressive, some of the most badass qualities
- Brutus – after the famous Roman politician who fought against Julius Caesar
- Caesar – after ‘Julius Caesar’, the Roman Politician, military general and historian
- Callista – derived from the Greek name of a huntress in the myth of Calisto
- Carlos – meaning ‘strong’, a great name for a fearless dog!
- Casey – meaning ‘brave’ and ‘vigilant’, a great female badass dog name!
- Cena – after ‘John Cena’, the American professional wrestler
- Charlemagne – after the medieval king, known as ‘Charles the Great’
- Chopper – after the junkyard dog from the film ‘Stand By Me’
- Dagger – this sharp and dangerous weapon undoubtedly makes a great name for a strong, badass dog
- Duchess – a title given to female members of the royal family
- Durden – after ‘Tyler Durden’, played by Brad Pitt in ‘Fight Club’
- Elektra – the daughter of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra from Greek mythology
- Elizabeth – after the English Tudor ‘Queen Elizabeth I’, the longest reigning Tudor monarch; this name is perfect for a badass red-haired dog
- Emerson – meaning ‘brave’ and ‘powerful’, perfect for a dog who has demonstrated his courage and prowess.
- Fire – this strong and powerful element would make a great name for a badass dog
- Fletcher – meaning ‘maker of arrows’
- Francesca – meaning ‘free spirit’
- Gaius – the first name of ‘Julius Caesar’
- Genghis – after ‘Genghis Khan’, the founder and first Great Khan of the Mongolian Empire
- Gnasher – after ‘Gnasher the Dog’, the pet dog of ‘Dennis the Menace’ from the British comic ‘The Beano’
- Godzilla – the King of the Monsters
- Goliath – after the ‘Philistine giant’ from the biblical Book of Samuel, this is a great badass name for a long-legged pup
- Gorilla – naming your badass dog after these fierce animals will definitely reflect its strength and power
- Hercules – a hero of Greek mythology, famous for his strength and adventurous nature
- Hulk – a fictional superhero, renowned for his huge muscles and green skin
- Huntress – a female badass name, after the fictional superhero from the DC Comics
- Indiana – after ‘Indiana Jones’, the badass explorer and professor of archaeology
- K. Growling – a pun on the famous author ‘J. K. Rowling’ who wrote the ‘Harry Potter’ books
- Jade – meaning ‘jewel’ and ‘courageous’
- Jekyll – the protagonist in the gothic novel by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Kaia – meaning ‘earth’
- King – giving your badass dog the title of a monarch will ensure it rules the roost!
- Kojak – after ‘Theo Kojak’, the New York detective from the American drama series of the same name
- Kong – after ‘King Kong’, the legendary giant gorilla
- Lara – meaning ‘protection’
- Leo – meaning ‘lion’, perfect for a dog with the fierce temperament of a lion
- Lilith – a Hebrew name meaning ‘ghost’, ‘night monster’ or ‘storm goddess, perfect for a strong, independent dog
- Luiz – meaning ‘famous fighter’
- Luna – meaning ‘moon’, this badass dog name is perfect for any dog who loves to be the leader
- Malik – meaning ‘master’, ‘angel’ and ‘king’
- Maximus – the usurper of the Western Roman Empire
- Medusa – the monster from Greek mythology with snakes for hair; anyone who looked at her face would turn to stone
- Nala – Simba’s strong and courageous wife in ‘The Lion King’
- Nancy – after ‘Nancy Wake’, journalist and spy of the French Resistance during the second world war, it doesn’t get much more badass than a spy!
- Napoleon – after ‘Napoleon Bonaparte’, the French statesman and military leader during the French Revolution
- Ninja – a covert agent from feudal Japan, known for their agility and strength
- Olympia – the name of a small town in Greece, dedicated to the Greek god Zeus
- Power – if your dog is strong and mighty, a name like ‘power’ is a perfect match
- Queen – giving your female dog the title of a monarch is an excellent way to showcase her badass qualities of strength and confidence
- Ranger – meaning ‘forest guardian’, perfect for a dog who loves to play in nature
- Raven – after ‘Raven Darkholme’ from the ‘X-Men’ movies, the badass heroine who often fought strongly for justice
- Rebel – meaning ‘someone who rises against the masses’, perfect for a dog who hates living by the rules!
- Rhino – naming your dog after these bulky, horned animals is certain to give them a badass reputation
- Roar – the sound of a lion is custom-made for the perfect badass
- Robin Hood – after the legendary hero from English folklore, highly skilled in archery and sword fighting
- Shabina – an Arabic name meaning ‘eye of the storm’
- Shadow – with connotations of darkness, the name ‘Shadow’ is the perfect match for a mysterious dog
- Sirius – the Animagus from the ‘Harry Potter’ franchise, who transforms into a black dog
- Sonya – meaning ‘loud’, perfect for a dog who is unafraid to make some noise!
- Tempest – a turbulent storm, a perfect name for a fiery, excitable pup!
- Grrr – although not a conventional name, this sound effect is the definition of badass!
- Thor – after the King of the Norse gods and son of ‘Odin’
- Thunder – naming your dog after this powerful noise, heard after a flash of lightning, will accurately reflect its power and fearlessness
- Tiger – these wild predators make great badass dog names, especially if yours has patterned fur like the stripes of a tiger
- Titan – the name of the older Gods who fought the Olympians
- Turbo – short for ‘turbocharger’, perfect for a fast dog who loves to run
- Ulysses – the Roman name for ‘Odysseus’, a hero in ancient Greek literature
- Ursula – the fictional villain from Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’, renowned for her power and fierceness
- Venus – after the goddess of love and beauty, this makes a great name for a strong, benevolent female dog
- Victoria – after ‘Queen Victoria’, the strong and badass queen of England who ruled her extensive kingdom with drive and determination
- Viva – a Hungarian name meaning ‘life’
- Vixen – originally the name for a female fox, the name ‘vixen’ has come to mean a spirited woman, therefore it is perfect for a badass female dog
- Warrior – arguably the most brutal name out there, epitomising the strength and fearlessness of dogs
- Wolf – name your dog after the fiercest of all canines to ensure its badass status
- Wonder Woman – the Amazon princess who succeeds in ending World War I
- Xena – after the warrior princess who fights evil
Best Tough Dog Names
Not only are dogs incredibly tough, but they are also highly intelligent too.
Dogs can understand around 250 words and gestures made by humans, especially their own name.
This is why it is really important to give them a fantastic moniker; as it is probably the first thing they’ll learn.
Many of the titles on this list are inspired by Greek and Roman gods, and what is cooler and tougher than a mythological being with endless power?!
As well as many figures from pop cultures, such as Jaws and Godzilla. You can draw inspiration from various places in order to find the best tough names.
Here is a list of our best tough dog names, that will be perfect for any heroic and valiant dog out there.
a very famous movie in pop culture (the titular shark in the 1975 Steven Spielberg film). Definitely a name for any tough dog that evokes fear into the hearts of many.
Male Tough Dog Names
If you want to give your dog a badass, tough, masculine moniker that will highlight how heroic, valiant and chivalrous they are, this is the list for you!
Most of these tough dog names are inspired by interesting characters on film and television (as well as being from literature and various myths or legends).
A lot of these names just sound really strong and will make even the tiniest of dogs seem intimidating and brave.
Whether your dog is more Norse God than X-Men, any of these monikers will paint your pooch with an effortlessly alpha tough-guy exterior, but with a big heart underneath.
played by Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender, Magneto is one of the most powerful mutants in the X-Men universe.
Female Tough Dog Names
Here are our favorite tough dog names for females.
Most of this list is inspired by our favorite badass, leading ladies in film, TV and literature.
Everyone you meet will be impressed by your nonchalant and interesting female pooch, which can only be emphasized by their amazing title!
Some great examples of names from this list include Medusa (the snake-headed lady from Greek mythology) and Clarice Starling (the intelligent, sharp, quick-witted protagonist of The Silence of the Lambs).
There is no end to the amount of interesting women that do incredible things, that you can name your tough dog after!
inspired by the incredible Marie Curie, who was a tough, intelligent woman who developed the theory of radioactivity. A great name for a smart and powerful dog!
We hope you’ve enjoyed exploring our ideas and have found perfect badass dog names for your tough dog.
Whether it was the name of a strong warrior, mythical creature, or monarch from history that caught your eye, hopefully, it was the one you were looking for.
If you haven’t quite found the perfect one yet, keep researching examples of badass people from history, and you will find a name soon!
Most of all, make sure you enjoy the naming process because naming a badass dog is fun and exciting.
If you think we’ve missed any brilliant badass dog names, please leave your suggestions in the comments below.